Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 4:51:38 PM EDT
I know what parts I need. (.30 cal patch jag, .30cal brush, rifle rod, cleaner, oil, etc.)

But what's the procedure for taking it apart and cleaning it?

BTW, I have a Norinco MAK-90 Milled.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean...aK?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know what parts I need. (.30 cal patch jag, .30cal brush, rifle rod, cleaner, oil, etc.)

But what's the procedure for taking it apart and cleaning it?

BTW, I have a Norinco MAK-90 Milled.

I am unfamiliar with the procedure too

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys kick butt; such fast responses.

Anything else I should know about cleaning?

The reason I ask, is because my AK jammed out today 3 times while shooting 60 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The reason I ask, is because my AK jammed out today 3 times while shooting 60 rounds or so.

Doesn't sound like a problem with it being dirty, unless you have actual rocks and twigs inside the reciever.

Weak recoil spring?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I couldnt believe how easy my Arsenal was to clean.

I never took one apart before and it was very easy.

As the other posts suggest..clean an AK ??

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought they had to be dirty to work????????
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The dirt fills in the big spaces between the moving parts that supposedly make it less accurate and it effectively accurizes the rifle.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no clue, I bought it brand new at a local gunstore.  Maybe old age? I hear it was made in 1993, maybe it's just dry.

I was scared when I pulled back the bolt and loosened the jammed bullet.  But luckily it wasn't jammed in tight. I just pulled it very light and the jammed bullets fell out the magazine hole.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
on a serious note, should you only pull the bore brush in the direction the bullet travels or is it fine to push & pull the brush?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have no clue, I bought it brand new at a local gunstore.  Maybe old age? I hear it was made in 1993, maybe it's just dry.

I was scared when I pulled back the bolt and loosened the jammed bullet.  But luckily it wasn't jammed in tight. I just pulled it very light and the jammed bullets fell out the magazine hole.

I'de try a new mag. AKs are usually rock solid platforms, I doubt your rifle is too dirty to function. are you using USA made magazines? If so, then thats the problem. Might also be a recoil spring, other than that I can't think of a reason why it would be malfunctioning.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
DONT!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
on a serious note, should you only pull the bore brush in the direction the bullet travels or is it fine to push & pull the brush?

How do you get the cleaning rod into the receiver?

Unless your using a boresnake type cleaning kit the only way  to run a brush is in from the muzzle.I wouldn't suggest stopping halfway down the barrel and reversing directions.Push it all the way out and then back and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
This is how I "clean" my AK.

Take off receiver cover, remove bolt carrier and bolt.

Hose everything down in brake cleaner, wipe down and reassemble.

Pull bore snake thru barrel twice

If that take longer than 2 or 3 minutes then your being to thorough.......try to do a shoodier job.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'de try a new mag. AKs are usually rock solid platforms, I doubt your rifle is too dirty to function. are you using USA made magazines? If so, then thats the problem. Might also be a recoil spring, other than that I can't think of a reason why it would be malfunctioning.

I am not sure, But that's the mag that came with my Norinco MAK-90.  I'm assuming the mag is chinese made.  There's no markings on it at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#18]
what is this whole clean an ak business. To quote a wise mans wordsTHE AK IS A DIRTY WHORE AND DESERVES TO BE TREATED AS SUCH. I dont know though i just take a leak in the barrel after i shoot and next time it shoots like a dream, the smell could be better though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If you give us more details maybe we can be more helpful. AK rarely jam.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's how I clean mine:

I just dump it in a barrel of gasoline and leave it for a day, the spray it off with a water hose and shoot it dry. After that, I just bury it in the back yard til I need it again....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget the 20 gauge shotgun brush to clean out the gas tube. Via the great advice from some of the psychos on this website hat
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have no clue, I bought it brand new at a local gunstore. Maybe old age? I hear it was made in 1993, maybe it's just dry.

Heh.
Anyone want to post pics of the AKs made in the late 40s found running, in Iraq?
AKs dont get "old" - The only way an AK will be "worn out" is when it falls apart.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Actually got to watch an AK get shot to pieces by an Iraqi Army trainee; He was firing away, and the top cover, recoil spring and bolt carrier just popped right out, scaring the dogshit outta ol' Haji. No harm done, but all we could figure was that he tried to shoot it after not latching down the top cover and recoil assembly. We put it back together and it ran fine, but Haji wouldn't touch it after that. Another one had his magazine baseplate pop off, ejecting everything out the bottom of the mag, right on the firing line. Watching the Iraqi Army makes for great comedy...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Don't forget the 20 gauge shotgun brush to clean out the gas tube. Via the great advice from some of the psychos on this website I got a can of automotive brake cleaner ($2) and a can of BreakFree's CLP ($3.87) at WalMart and that was all I have needed. I also got a cheapy combo cleaning kit from there too for about $9. I took everything apart and hosed down the parts with the brake cleaner as this gets rid of the junk (might need to scrub a bit with a toothbrush or brass brush) and leaves no residue. I then repeated this process using my precious CLP and this stuff REALLY gets all of the residual crud out. After running about a half dozen claning patches soaked in CLP down the barrel they were coming out with no more gook on them, did roughly the same thing with the gas tube and then, making sure everything had a nice thin coat of CLP and put it all back together.  Couldn't be mush easier. Again, I have to give props to the collection of degenerates on this website for all of their help as it was all of them that originally told me how to do this!

Yes, we all laugh about it, but, if you are shooting corrosive ammo, you should do the above....there is, something that seperates collectors/shooters from troops in the field it was designed for....like a desire to preserve finish and  keep from from needing to buy new upper hand guards (gas tubes) eaten through by crud.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
To clean an AK. Take the top cover off, go to coin car wash and power wash it. That should take care of the smut

Just joking. I only clean the bore on mine and wipe off the carrier and bolt and make sure there is suffecient oil in places.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I use a 12 gauge brush to clean the gas tube. I only clean the gas tube 1 time a year if that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#28]
every couple years I clean my AK's.
The only exception is my SBR krinkovs.
I clean them every range trip.
One thing to make sure you do is remove the muzzle device and wipe down under it.
On the Krinkov's and Bulgy AK74's, the flashhider collects alot of moisture and you really need to make sure no rust will build up there.
I took the 4 peice off of my Saiga Krink and notice a fine red rust starting to form.
I dispatched it with a few wipes of a oily rag.

The only time you MUST clean a AK is when you had it out in the rain.

I knew this guy that NEVER cleaned his AK.
He took it to the range, blasted drum after drum out of it.
He came back home tossed it in his garage.
A couple month later he went back to the range.
The bolt/bolt carrier was rusted to the rails/trunion.
You could not budge it.
He hit the bolt handle on the edge of a concrete table. After a couple of hits, the parts came free.
Hit sprayed the inside with WD40 (via bolt hole in receiver), worked the action some, and blasted more rounds out of it.
This is the Standard procedure this guy uses for this rifle.
Every couple of range trips (with months between), his rifle would be frozen up and he would redo his WD40 spray.
To this day, and ten thousand rounds later, he has never taken the cover off the receiver nor has he put a brush down the bore.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#29]
You have to clean an AK?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top