BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see what the big deal is.  If I guy wants an AK as his "go to" long arm I think they should modify it in a way that makes it work best for them.  Lots of people like red dots and the EOTech is a good moderatly priced one.  Forarms makes weapons easyer to handle and a weapons light is allways a good thing.

Personaly I like AKs for their classic look, its not my go to gun, but if it was I doubt I would leave it stock...and what I put on it would't be there to apise the purists.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't care for the look, either, but if you decided to use an AK for home/area defense, some of these things make sense...

-- if you plan on using a firearm in HD, a light is practically mandatory ("set the place on fire first" is funny, but if you've ever raised a firearm in anger in the dark and your light saved a life, you understand why the Surefire is good).

-- what in the world is wrong with having a quality optic that you like? Just because the Poles, etc. aren't using Eotech doesn't make having one a sin. Yes, I LOVE the Kobra, but Eotech is a real working optic with few equals, and a straight-shooting AK deserves good glass.

-- OK, I don't get the laser.

While the AK doesn't have the ergonomic safety/selector and the much friendlier mag release of the AR (both of which I love and the drill for which are burned into my head), YOU guys all know it's an excellent defensive rifle, and can get just as much good from lights and sights as the AR.

No, none of mine look like this because I don't own them for defensive purposes. But why not? Look, be glad for every AK nut you can convert and add to your rolodex of range buddies.

Having said all that, we're ALL allowed to pick on each other in fun. Once I finish my presentation-grade Claro stock and handguards for my bulgy -74 and get it hard-chromed, I'll post the bling pics for all to insult...

A seriously intelligent assesment of the picture, without the herd mentality horse manure added by so many others.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

if you want to light up a building in the dark?,....fuck it!,.. set it on fire before you go in.

Oh man...I started crying from laughing so hard at that one.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I am okay with making your rifle comfortable, and don't mind some of htat stuff on the AK, but the vert grip is completely uncalled for.  They actucally make the ak LESS comfortable and shootable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
cruzie, good call on the folder. I appears that the optics rail, the rear block (trunnion), and the stock hinge element form a single structure. Unless that thing is made of titanium, it surely ain't lightweight. But it looks awesomely stout in the kalashnikov tradition.

Now one of these would look sweet on a Tantal -- any interested machine shops out there? You could sell a few hundred of these boys!

chapperjoe, I'm with you on vertical grips on AKs. I love the look of my AMD and all the kids at the range lust after it, but it's frankly more natural to shoot with the foregrip off (but use an oven mitt -- seriously).
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It looks like that rail over the dust cover could work as a stand alone piece. Can it?  I don't need all the foregrips and lights, but having a nice platform for optics would be nice.

Looked into it today, rail on top cover only works with foregrip.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Huh, I see no problem with putting the best available sight on the best available rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
chapperjoe, I'm with you on vertical grips on AKs. I love the look of my AMD and all the kids at the range lust after it, but it's frankly more natural to shoot with the foregrip off (but use an oven mitt -- seriously).

I have the same AMD and have the same complaint.  she's gorgeous and looks mean, but I often grab the area in front of grip.  Oven mitt is a great idea.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I see no problem with that set up. My rifles are all set up fairly simple on purpose but if you like it and want to use it go for it. For me a Kobra or an Ultimak rail with a red dot works fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Heretics!! All of you!! You all should be burned at the stake!

Crapco AKs are cool now? WTF. Whatever.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry AR's are cute but real extreme combat rifles they are not. If optics and lights are OK for the Stoner design then the AK deserves the same esspecially when it is the better of the two systems in extreme environments. The Poles with their 5.56 outfitted AK's probably wouldn't trade them on any day for the picky AR.    
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top