Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:35:16 PM EDT
Okay, I need the low down on these two builds. I don't have any direct experience with either so, input would be appreciated. I'm looking for another AK to add to the collection and I've seen some great prices on these two. Any opinions? Both look and sound great, more pluses than minuses.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If the price is close, I would go with the Arsenal. Not that Vactor is bed, but Arsenal has an awesome rep uses a more solid receiver. I know Atlantic firearms has a few very reasonable milled AKs. That's what I would get.

Between those two, SSR 85 C2  without question.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#2]
AGERanger,

The reason I went with the Armory USA SSR-85C-2 over the Vector Classic, was because the SSR is built in Bulgaria.  I like Bulgarian built, (or influenced) guns.  The stamped receiver is also 1.6mm thick, rather than the standard 1.0mm type.  

The fit and finish on these guns are excellent, although, one rifle I have has a slight front sight cant.  I want to make one of mine into a Hungarian SA85M clone, albeit built in Bulgaria.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I only have the Vector so I can not comment on the other gun.  The Vector I have is built nice, accurate and reliable.   The Vectors have a 5 year warranty.  I am very happy with my Vector.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about the Vector, but I bought the 85C when they first came out.  Back then (98, 99?) SAR1s were under $200 while I paid $460 for my 85C.  I thought it was a lot of money but I did get a lot of gun.  The only thing I could compare it to beside the SAR1 was my SLR95.  I liked the 85C better...improved finish, real wood and a trigger group that was not quite as twitchy as the SLR's.  Both shot the same.  I sold the 85C after a year and maybe 800 rounds for more than I paid for it.  I was drifting away from AKs and getting into big bores.  In hindsight I should have kept it and sold the SLR.

HTH
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Armory 85C and really love the gun.  It has a super finish and shoots well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
TO continue beating the dead horse, I love my SSR-85C. The fit and finish is excellent and dead-nuts reliable. Mine has the black poly furnitureand the first time I took it to the range I had that thing SMOKIN' and even though I still kept burning through ammo it continued to operate beautifully. I know you wouldn't be dissapointed getting the SSR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Got the SSR-85c2 with Plum furniture, it is very solid. I am also getting the 1 with the "blond" wood...Trying to take pics....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]

i have a vector and an ssr-85c2. i like them both a lot.
the vector underfolder has been 100% reliable with hp,sp, and fmj, is well made (armory usa receiver), and will always have a home in my safe.

the ssr-85c-2 is also an impressive rifle. great fit, nice wood, 100% reliable with fmj. it does not like hp.  however, the ssr-85c2 is going to have just a little bit of work done to it, and the it should be my favorite. i am going to have the barrel throated so that hp is not a problem, ultimak mount to put my trijicon reflex sight. finally, i am going to have it refinished in black because i hat the gray that armoryusa is finishing thier rifles in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a pic of my SSR-85C-2 with Hungarian grip.  I'm in the process of getting a nice Hungarian sling for it as well.  It's the one on the left.

Bud

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Go with the SSR. I have had both classic , and SSR. The classic is a good gun no doubt , but the SSR is a little more high end.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top