Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:39 PM EDT
That article by David Fortier in the March/April issue of Rifle Shooter has me sold.  I want an AK.  I'm thinking I'll get a Romanian WASR despite the quality issues, but of course I have to be anal, even about utility gun.  I'd like to to have all the furniture to be that "old school" yellow birch.  Would it be possible to slap the blonde pistol grip on the WASR or should I spend a little extra and get their Yugo AK M70 and repalce the folding stock with the new wood.  Basically can I do all yellow birch with out spending $1300 on a Arsenal Classic.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You really don't have to spend $1300.00 for a good looking, quality AK.  Look into the fixed stock Vector Arms rifles.  Or, the SSR-85C2 with bleached Elm stock sets.  

If I had my druthers, I'd definitely go with the Yugo M70 vs. the WASR.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Or of course a Vepr. Sorry I had to say it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Or of course a Vepr. Sorry I had to say it.

Yep, SQG...watch out for those VEPR mafia guys!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
So the Yugo will take a solid stock?  and I'm having trouble finding those stocks for stamped receivers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So the Yugo will take a solid stock?  and I'm having trouble finding those stocks for stamped receivers.

I would imagine so...but you're going to have holes in the receiver.  Have you looked at the Hungarian SA85M kits?  Fixed stock variant.  It's got pretty much what you're looking for.  

I only mentioned that I would take the M70 over the WASR for quality of workmanship.  I would leave the underfolder in place.  If you've decided you want a fixed stock AK, do yourself a favor and check out the Vector Arms series.  Not much more money than the WASRs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
While I'm thinking about it, the Armory USA/Global Trades SSR-85C-2 is a quality rifle.  Built in Bulgaria with a Type III look, save for the stamped receiver.  It's like a tank...and I think you would be pleased with its appearance.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Your going to have an even harder time finding a place that has the Yugo underfolders - when I called the best I could do was wait 2 months (est) on the list.......so I went with the Vector Arms instead.  Cost a bit more.

You could get a fixed stock Vector Classic for $499 and have it in one week.  You may chat with them and see if they could set you up with the exact stock you are wanting.  I didnt think they were very personable on the phone, almost rude but not quite....you may have better luck with them

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I would avoid going WASR. If you know something you want , then get exactly what it is. Otherwise you end up buying 3 different rifles before you find something to satisfy your AK hunger.

Then you have that Pos WASR just siting there and you look at it like you hate it because it took you 5 more rifles to figure out what you really wanted. Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The WASR is a reliable rifle. It doesn't look pretty, and you need to check for canted sights and gas block. also While I don't own a folding stock Yugo I can tell you that the rivet pattern on a Polish UF is different than the rivet pattern on the fixed stock AKs, which means that you will have to drill the receiver after you remove the rear trunnion. Conversion from UF to fixed stock is possible but difficult and expensive. If you want a fixed stock rifle buy one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Why would you buy an underfolder rifle to turn it into a full stock rifle in the first place?  Doesn't make a lot of sense when there are full stock rifles out there that are better quality than the WASR.  Arsenal rifles, the Bulgarian built for Global Trades as Bachelor_of_Science stated and the Vector rifles.

You could buy Hungarian or Romanian kit and have it built up.  You don't need to buy a WASR but even that makes more sense then buying an underfolder rifle and converting it to a regular stock rifle.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top