Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:03:46 AM EDT
I reacently bought Norinco 56s. It is beautiful. Te only thing that gets on me nerves is the Bolt carrier. It has some spots by the gas pison that will not come off with solvent. What would be the best way to get this noice and clean? Could I try solvent with some fine steel wool? If someone could host pics I will E mail them. I still cant figure out how to get pics on hosting sight!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Try letting it soak in some Butch's Bore Shine overnight.  It should come right off.  You could also use a bronze bristled toothbrush or the brass insert from a stripper clip to scrape the stuff away.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Somewhere or other I bought two large bronze and a stainless toothbrush type cleaning brushes.  I had a piston with lots of carbon.  I dipped the stainless brush in Hoppes and gave the piston a couple of scrubs and let it set about 5 minutes.  Repeated and it came completely clean.  This was the first time I ever bothered to try to get the carbon off.

If you have a dremel with the brush attachment you could give that a try after soaking for a little while.  I wouldn't soak too long in case the solvent causes a stain.  A very fine steel wool probably won't hurt anything so give it a try.  Might be a hassle but if it really bothers you and you can't get it clean, replace the piston with a U.S. made stainless piston.  It will most likely come clean though.    
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Its on the bolt carrier not the piston. Its right were the piston feeds into the carrier. I cannot replace carrier, It is Norinco 56s!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Its on the bolt carrier not the piston. Its right were the piston feeds into the carrier. I cannot replace carrier, It is Norinco 56s!

You can try to use steel wool on it or the stainless brush.  If it is pitted and you want to try to at least clean it up you can use a blast cabinet if none of the other suggestions work.

If you want to get a new one polytechparts.com/
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up getting spot off with Hoppes #9 and copper brush. What would I use to polish it up? Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
wrong thread. Duh.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top