Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:55:15 PM EDT
I have a set of SA-85 that i want to finish with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil but need some help in applying it. I have seen some awesome stock sets done with it and i have seen some that are not so nice. So what i am looking for is some advice on applying it and maybe some pictures of stock sets that you guys have done with it. Also should i apply some a poly finish over the Tru-Oil to completely finish it? I am thinking about using Helmsman spar polyurethane to finish it. I will probably hand rub 3 or 4 coats with light sanding in between and then 2-3 coats of the spray to finish. Thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated

Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I really dont like a high gloss finish so I normally start by hand rubbing 1 coat, let it dry, buff wiht 0000 steel wool, repeat, repeat, on the final coat, buff with the 0000 and then buf to a low glos with a cotton towel.  It has worked wonderfully on the 3 stock sI have done and doesnt give you that high gloss walmart finish.  The buffing between coats with wool fills the poors in the wood and makes a nice smooth finish.

OMP

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I really dont like a high gloss finish so I normally start by hand rubbing 1 coat, let it dry, buff wiht 0000 steel wool, repeat, repeat, on the final coat, buff with the 0000 and then buf to a low glos with a cotton towel.  It has worked wonderfully on the 3 stock sI have done and doesnt give you that high gloss walmart finish.  The buffing between coats with wool fills the poors in the wood and makes a nice smooth finish.

OMP

That is what I do too.  Block sand it after about 5 coats to make it perfectly smooth too.  24 hours between coats.  I rub it on with my finger.... and then hang it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
When I worked with my Dad doing carpentry work, sometimes we'd do finish/custom work, i.e., custom gun cabinets for clients.  Tru-oil is all we would use.  Apply with a finger or fingers, rub it in the wood, steel wool the wood, repeat process.  

It takes a while, as the guys above have mentioned, but well worth the work and wait.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I am in the process of refinishing my M59/66 stocks and at first I had wanted to do the Tru-oil finish too.  But that can of Helsman SPAR Urethane Satin sealer is begging to be used!  The Tru-oil does look good and is durable, but so is the Satin Urethane finish.  I think the spray can is going to win out as this is my Rifle Grenade launching platform and it will see a lot of use and a lot of being left on the ground.

M59/66 web page with links to launching page and videos
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done urethane and tru-oil.  No comparison.  Tru-oil every time.  My Russian SKS in urethane was much faster to apply, yes.... but with Tru-oil you can acheive a smoother finish, and touch-ups are much easier and look better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Any of you guys ever apply this stuff with Steel wool or sandpapper for that matter. A bunch of guys at another ak-47 website use this application method with minwax stains and have great results.
I bought a 74 kit that was partially refinished with tung oil applied with 400 grit sandpapper and man was that finish smooth as could be. Color wasnt as dark as it could have been, but the finish and feel was Top Notch. Just wondering if any of you guys have used this application method before and if you think it could be effectively done with the Tru-Oil

Chris
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I've done two stocks with it. Here's a pic of one of them..

Very pleased.

The best advise I want to give you is to apply the coats with your finger VERY thin. Then do multiple coats. That stuff is like honey and will sag easily if you apply a coat that is too thick.

Also, as the instructions say....you can knock the shine off it with some fine steel wool if you don't like that glossy finish. Obvously as you can see....I like the glossy finish!

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
No urethane on top of the tru-oil.  Also use about 3 light coats, than dry overnight and steel wool.  Repeat that process 2 more times.  Finish my rubbing it down steel wool, then I buff it with plastic polish, and follow with car wax.  Leaves a nice semi-gloss finish.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top