Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/26/2006 12:53:51 PM EDT
Here's my story.  I've got a muzzle brake and threaded barrel for my 2003 SAR-1.  The pin that is to hold the brake retaining pin in place will not come out, in spite of banging on the thing for more time than I'd like to remember.  Does anyone here have any suggestions on getting that pin out?  Would I be able to get by without the brake retaining pin if, for example, the brake screwed on tightly?
Would appreciate input.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
For what reason do you not want your brake detent?

on your front sight pin...are you hitting it on the ejection side and driving it out toward the non ejection side (with respect to the receiver)? I think this is the way to drive it out.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]
if all else fails and it simply WILL NOT come out, you can drill it out with a 1/8" drill bit and use some 1/8" welding rod to make a new pin, cutting it just slightly longer than the hole and then peening over on one side.

if you don't have any 1/8" welding rod, shoot me a PM with your address and i'd be happy to cut a few inches for you and drop it in the mail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not that I don't want the brake detent, it's just that I can't get it installed.  I've been trying to punch the pin out in both directions...nothing.

As for drilling the thing out, I don't have access to a drill press.  If I did, I'd drill it out in an instant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]
so currently it does not have the detent pin and you want to put one in there?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's not that I don't want the brake detent, it's just that I can't get it installed.  I've been trying to punch the pin out in both directions...nothing.

As for drilling the thing out, I don't have access to a drill press.  If I did, I'd drill it out in an instant.

have you tried break free clp? do you have a punch set? ? It will require alot of force to get it broke free. i would suggest laying the front sight on something solid like a 2x4, using your bunch on the retaining pin, and a big hammer. If you dont strike it with force, it wont budge.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was lucky on my NHM91 with the detent pin.Good luck,one thing I was contemplating if it wouldn't budge was grinding it off and mig zapping a tiny arc at the bottom securing the brake to the barrel once it  was fully installed on the rifle.I viewed this as a last ditch option.
Just trying to give you an idea.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried penetrating oil, a torch to heat up the FSB and a big ass punch and hammer.  finally it came out.  If you have access to a press, I'd try that.  Less damaging.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Right, the pin is not in, but I'd like it to be there, if possible.  

I do have punches, but what's "break free clp?"

If nothing else works, do you suppose a brake would stay on if screwed on tightly?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The cross pin on one of mine was spot welded by the looks of it.  Had to grind it a bit, then after bending several punches trying to get it out, I used a center punch and whacked it.  That started it and it can out easily after that.  

I had already got the drill press ready to drill it out and tried hitting it one last time when it broke free.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Right, the pin is not in, but I'd like it to be there, if possible.  

I do have punches, but what's "break free clp?"

If nothing else works, do you suppose a brake would stay on if screwed on tightly?

If all else fails, use blue locktite and it wont go anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Terrific.  The center punch idea did the job and now I'm able to install the brake retaining pin.  IMagine my consternation when the punch got stuck in the hole Hopefully, the pin I've punched out will go back in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Terrific.  The center punch idea did the job and now I'm able to install the brake retaining pin.  IMagine my consternation when the punch got stuck in the hole
Hopefully, the pin I've punched out will go back in.

So, my idea worked.

When you threaded the barrel, it would have been best to take both cross pins out first and knock the front sight base off or back toward the gasblock a bit and then thread the barrel so that you get an extra bit of threads. That way your brake can thread on closer to the FSB.  

For getting the pin back in, I only had trouble with one once. Just file a bevel into the end of the pin that goes into the hole first and use plenty of CLP.  Hold the pin with a pair of needlenose plier and start the pin with a hammer.  Then use an oversize punch to get it in flush.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#13]
That may not be necessary.  I didn't knock the pins completely out of the front sight base, just enough to one side that the brake retaining pin would fit in.  Since it's still partially in, it sounds like it will go back in pretty easily.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Terrific.  The center punch idea did the job and now I'm able to install the brake retaining pin.  IMagine my consternation when the punch got stuck in the hole
Hopefully, the pin I've punched out will go back in.

I used a big centerpunch.  No way it was going in the hole, but the point started the pin moving and then I switched to a small diameter one.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top