Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:20:13 PM EDT
I found a $600 norinco preban AK for sale, wood has some nicks and dings in it, metal finish looks good....they say "primo condition as a shooter grade".... $600.  it comes with bayonet, and a fixed wooden stock.  of course its threaded, with slant brake and has a bayo lug.  being in NY, this preban AK looks very tempting... they retail for $1000-1200 locally, we get raped on prices.  What is a rifle such as this worth?  ive seen them go for $200-300 more than what they ask for this rifle
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Norinco AK's are of excellent quality. So much so, that they were the "standard issue" AK of SOCOM, beating out all applicable competition. I personally own a Type 56 with standard stock and underfolding "pig sticker" bayonet and I adore it. Accuracy isn't as good as some other AK options, however its certainly "par for the course", as is reliability. Fit/finish is also very good. These are well made, great looking weapons. The only concern is the finish, which isn't very durable and is succeptible to chipping/scratching/flaking off. Norinco imported several AK style weapons, including AKM/RPK types in 5.56 and 7.62 as well as less conventional models like the NM and Hunter. Its hard to say if its a good deal based on the info you have given, but an AKM in 5.56/7.62 in excellent shooting condition would be worth buying at this price. Aesthetic condition is a good indicator of how the weapon was maintained, but AK's are robust and the numbered

receiver is the most important part of a pre-ban weapon. As long as you have that, you can replace/configure as freely as the law allows. If this gun is a National Match, NHM or Hunter, then its up to you. Again, as long as you have the pre-ban receiver you can build a cool AK and its up to you if 600.00 is worth it for this priveledge. I wouldn't hack up a NM AK, though as these are neat guns and extremely accurate, plus they make excellent 7.62x39 PSL type weapons. If you could provide more information on caliber and model, that would be very helpful as I might be able to give you better advice. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42828783

"I am selling one used Norinco ak-47. This is a pre ban semi automatic made around 1989-1990. It has the bayonet lug w/included bayonet. Has one 30 rd magazine and will accept all high capacity mags. The condition of finish is 85%, scratches to wood parts, but all metal is clean and in new apperance. This gun is a excellant example in primo condition as a shooter grade. I am not a FFL holder you must make sure your FFL dealer will accept gun transfers with a photo ID mailed with the gun. This is legal to do but not all FFL dealers will handle this sort of transaction. Please email me with any questions. Enjoy and good luck."
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
heres one for $695...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976676053.htm

so, whats the going price...are these both "great" deals or is this normal?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buy it.

Especially since you're behind enemy lines.

Couldn't agree more
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
heres one for $695...

for someone in your state, those are fantastic bargains.

i say buy both, then sell one locally for a good profit, making the one you keep that much cheaper.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If i had the scratch I'd go for it myself.  Good luck man
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd buy it if it was legal in NJ.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
heres one for $695...

for someone in your state, those are fantastic bargains.

i say buy both, then sell one locally for a good profit, making the one you keep that much cheaper.  

is there room for profit to be made on buying these and reselling say one here in NY?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
is there room for profit to be made on buying these and reselling say one here in NY?  

well, you said it yourself in your first post for the thread:

Quoted:
they retail for $1000-1200 locally

so i'd say even if you bought both and sold one for say 850-900, you'd still be giving someone local a better deal than buying elsewhere locally, as well as making enough of a profit that the 600-700 dollar Norinco just became a 400-500 dollar norinco, possibly cheaper.  

if i had the scratch to get both i sure as heck would.  in a couple months my student loan situation will be clearing up considerably and i'll have more fun money, but until then i have to live vicariously through others.

now go make me proud.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I was looking at that same auction, if I had the money I would buy it.  I need to stop looking, because when I do I get crazy ideas like selling one of my guns to buy a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was looking at that same auction, if I had the money I would buy it.  I need to stop looking, because when I do I get crazy ideas like selling one of my guns to buy a pre-ban.

thats what im thinking of doing...

$600 seems like a really good price......  ahh more feedback guys...  what is the rifle worth?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, buy it. If I could buy 3 for that price I would. Watch out for the guys on gunbroker who have there friends hike up the price by bidding on eachothers items.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
if this is such a  deal, why isnt anyone bidding then? im a bit confused
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know, I think it is a good deal.  If I had the money I would bid on it, but I just bought a Maadi MISR S/A off gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, I just bought the 56s off guns america(the one advertised for 695$). He gave it to me for 675$ shipped. I will give a report/pics on how nice it is at the end of the week! He said it has a few nics in the handgrips but not through the finish. The blueing is all good. Hey you cant beat that price! I bought my yugo underfolder in excellent cond.(greenlight arms reciever/perfect bore) from Atlantic for about the same price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I bid and buy  a fair amount on GunBroker, secret there is the same at any auction, pick your price and don't go any higher.  I've gotten a lot of merchandise for the opening bid, and like any live auction, don't bid early to drive the price up. I scores a milled Norinco nmh91 for $350.00 by waiting, I bought it the 3rd time it was listed.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top