Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 1:24:34 AM EDT
I am getting ready to pick one of these up now which one is the question.  
mags are of course a consideration but any suggestions?
Romanian, VEPR, or Arsenal?  This going to be a heavily used plinker.
Also where to get such animals.
thanks in advance

james
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not a good idea IMO.

5.45 or 7.62x39 are both a better choice than 5.56. If your dead set on the 5.56 get yourself an AR15.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]

.223 isn't bad

Made in China.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
There are still some SA M-5S's available here at excellent prices: www.auctionarms.com Do a search for SA M-5 ...
If you really want a 5.56x45 in an AK then Arsenal is it, mine is extremely accurate. K-Var is out of 5.56 mags right now but will be getting more mags sometime (soon?) ...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Definately Arsenal. They are great rifles. While I don't have one in 5.56 I do have one in 7.62 and 5.45. I am also working on a 7.62 underfolder. They are worth every bit of $$$. From what I understand the milled 5.56's have NO recoil whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I would also not venture into the Romanians. I have had a couple, they work which is all that is necesarry but you will eventually want an Arsenal. Romy's are rough looking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I would get the milled Arsenal now, but the rumors say a stamped one is coming down the road.
Another option is a Saiga conversion, but expect lots of money and obstacles.

My attempt at a Saiga conversion
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Vepr.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#9]
True, the Romanian SAR-3 and Wasr-3 rifles are pretty rough, but with a little work can be made into a really good rifle. Soon as InRange gets done, I will have an excuse to post some pics of my ugly duckling SAR-3 that they are doing for me    

Quoted:
I would also not venture into the Romanians. I have had a couple, they work which is all that is necesarry but you will eventually want an Arsenal. Romy's are rough looking.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
True, the Romanian SAR-3 and Wasr-3 rifles are pretty rough, but with a little work can be made into a really good rifle. Soon as InRange gets done, I will have an excuse to post some pics of my ugly duckling SAR-3 that they are doing for me    

Quoted:

No doubt they are good rifles, they are AK's. But when you start looking at an Arsenal as the "only one" AK you can get easily hooked. Sure they cost more but if you are considering it, you will eventually buy one anyway.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top