Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:30:31 PM EDT
I've got a Romanian stock set with the vertical grip on the handguard.  I'd like to refinish it, but don't like the vertical grip.  There seems to be plenty of wood present in the right places and I'm thinking of hacking off the vertal grip part and reshaping it in to a "normal" hand guard.  What are your thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You know I bought a couple of $100 kits last year and hacked off the folding stock to make a pistol trunion because I was too cheap to just buy a random trunnion and at the time there were thousands of them floating around.

Now that AMD-65 stock is probably worth 60-85$ and a complete kit is selling for $200-300

I have learned that it is best to just hold on to that stuff and watch the EE for a standard lower HG
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
There are so many of those Romy vertical grips floating around, I can't believe they will ever be worth anything.

There is enough meat there, I've seen pics of some that were cut off, go for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats what people were saying when there was a flood of AMD kits.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll buy it from you if it looks good.  Please let me know. IM sent
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I would'nt cut it,they're pretty narrow.You can probably trade it for a standard lower.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats what people were saying when there was a flood of AMD kits.

That's not quite the same thing.

With the barrel ban coming, I know a bunch of builders who bought 6 to 20+ Romys, (I bought 8 myself)  just to get the kits.
How many vertical fore grips does one guy need in his collection?
I would be more than happy to sell or trade off 6 vertical Romys.
I'm sure a lot of others would like to do the same.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]
There's plenty of wood there to do what you want to do ... I've done it to several Romy forearms ...

It's possible to make a pistol grip with the remaining section if you're good ....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a pic of one cut down by a member at gunco

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's one I Cut down.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice job MW, it looks great.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top