Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/18/2005 12:10:13 AM EDT
Okay so I finally caved and bought an AK.  Don't get excited its only a WASR-10...but I checked it out myself, made sure the sights were straight, and checked all of the rivets.  I have taken it to the range and put it through a few paces (about 250rnds) and not one hiccup.  Now I have a few questions.  

1)  I'd eventually like to put a side folder on the thing.  I'm assuming I'll have to use a US made stock correct?  Also, how do I remove the wooden buttstock?  I removed two screws and it still was in there pretty tight.  Is there another screw or do I have to get a little rough with it to get it out?

2)  Luckily the barrel is threaded...but unfortunately it has either a spot weld or a spot of silver solder on it where the thread protector meets the barrel in front of the cleaning rod retainer.  Is it solder or a weld?  Its parked over it.  How can I remove this myself?  Tip of a solder gun or is it going to need taken off by a smith?

3)  If the spot is just solder, what should I use to cover the bare metal after I get it off of the thread protector?  If its not that bad I'm not going to worry about it.

4)  What are the threads dimensions under the thread protector?  I'd like to get a slant brake to put on the muzzle.

ETA :  5) I need to adjust the windage a little bit to the right.  Do I have to buy a sight tool or can I get away with just using a small c-clamp?

Thanks for the help and so far I'm enjoying my new AK.  I already have plans to get a AK-74 side folder built around christmas now!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
This site should answer all your questions.  

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/furnitureremoval.htm
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
1. No you dont have to have a US folder...Some butt stocks put up a good fight when trying to remove dont let it beat ya...
2. Dremel..
3. High temp paint at local hardware store...
4. 14mm-1.0LH..
5. Yes you can..
6. Welcome to the darkside..
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
i would double check to make sure that it is treaded.  if it has a tread protector it probably is not.  the threads were turned off and the nut look-a-like was pressed on before they came to the US.  if it is indeed a WASR with a threaded barrel it should have a slant brake on it and the treads will be odd size 1/2 x 20 (done in the US by Century).  

edit: they are tack welded on
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top