Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:06:33 PM EDT
There looks to be a nick in the muzzle in one of the lands is there anyway to fix that?
Then need to re chrome I would think?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to?  Is it affecting the accuracy?  What kind of grouping are you getting?  4 MOA, 6 MOA, or more? The only way I can think of would be to hack the barrel just past the area you are talking about and recrown.  I highly doubt there is enough length for that.  Can't file it down to smooth it out.  That will surely affect the accuracy in a bad way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well yea better groups( there just adverage)! I guess my ? is how and can you re crown?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a smith and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I would think you need a lathe for the crowning. Sorry, you got me, man. I am way out of my league on this one.

What grouping are you going for?  Sub-MOA? Do you hand load since most (if not all) commercial AK ammos are not match grade? And your garden variety AKs are not built for match shootin' either. I'd be happy with 4 MOA any day of the week.  2 MOA for the 5.45x39mm is good.  Mostly, 4 to 6 is just fine with me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea Ok leave well enough alone I guess
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You can recrown without a lathe.  Brownells sells a muzzle chamfer device.  It a a fluted cutter with a guide rod and tee handle.  The guide rod fits inside of the barrel to keep the fluted cutter square to the axis of the bore.

This is what they look like.  Browells

Although if there is nothing wrong with the groups, I would leave well enough alone.  Or see how much a smith could charge to touch up the crown.

Incidently, is the nick just on the very end of the barrel, or down in the crown?  If it is just on the end of the barrel, don't sweat the nick as that is why barrels have a crown.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#6]
It's in one of the grooves. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If it is not in to far, you could try the down and dirty method of recrowning.

Brass acorn nut.  - sized to fit in the muzzle
Valve grinding compound
Bolt to fit the acorn nut.
Electric drill

Cut the head off the bolt and screw into the acorn nut.  Chuck the bolt into the electric drill and apply a dab of valve griding compound to the end of the acorn nut.

Place the acorn nut in the muzzle end of the rifle and turn on the drill.  Go medium speed and replace the grinding compound as needed.  You may want to put a patch in the barrel just inside of the muzzle to keep the junk from going down the bore to far.

When you are done, clean out the bore and check the crown.  You can change the pitch of the crown by the size of the acorn nut.  Do not get one to small as you want the end of the nut to do the profiling for you.

I have done this on a few rifles before and it works pretty well.  If all you need to do it to take out  a slight nick, you should not need to do it much.   BTW, go in reverse to keep the acorn nut from unscrewing on the bolt.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top