Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:13:39 PM EDT
Local sporting goods store has a WASR rifle that looks a heck of a lot like an AK-47 varient.
Price is less than $200.

I bought a Mak-90 10 years ago for twice that,
and they are still selling for over $400.

Why the difference?

Aren't they all the same except for the wood?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
if its less tehn 200$ then its probably the single stack version, meaning it only takes 10rnd mags. this can be fixed with a dremel. check www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml for more info.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a mak-90 and was very impressed with the finish and smoother operation over my wasr. The trigger is worlds better than the wasr and is comparable to a tapco G2.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd take the Chinese AK hands down.

+1  I wouldn't even have to think about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
MAK-90
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

h/w, the converted WASRs run just find

but they have crappier finish and furniture-WTF? rommy beat by chicom??!!?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

Dude, the Romanian's are lucky that the Chinese can't export semi-auto AK's to the U.S.  Otherwise you'd see brand new ChiCom underfolders at Walmart for $250 including a case of steel-core ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

Dude, the Romanian's are lucky that the Chinese can't export semi-auto AK's to the U.S.  Otherwise you'd see brand new ChiCom underfolders at Walmart for $250 including a case of steel-core ammo.

Thought that was a two year ban and it was over?  WTF?  I thought we were about to see a flood of 1911s and AKs?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
MAK-90
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
from wat i uderstand the chinese ban was after 1994.  so no more guns imported after 1994.  tis why some dealers want a premium for MAKs.

Quoted:
Thought that was a two year ban and it was over?  WTF?  I thought we were about to see a flood of 1911s and AKs?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, i went against the trend and sold a great looking MAK-90 then picked up a SAR-1. Why?

1) The SAR has an optics rail
2) The SAR is already in a pistol grip configuration, with US parts (namely the gas piston, which is hardest to sawp)
3) The SAR holds a cleaning rod
4) The SAR has a front sight block that can accept a detent pin (for threading the barrel and adding a slant brake)

The same applies to a WASR, as they are very close to a SAR.

Depending upon what you want your AK to be, a MAK-90 could be a very expensive way to go, but they are fine weapons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
When I bought my mak90 in 96 everyone was like oh thats chinese those norincos are cheap but I held on to her becuase I was young and she was mine now look shes almost at the top of the food chain......Go with the mak I have never had any problem with mine,
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a MAK, but I wanted another.
I was thinking I could get the WASR and put the thumbhole stock on, and have the same thing.
Now I see that the WASR doesn't take the same magazines, so ...   screw that.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was thinking I could get the WASR and put the thumbhole stock on, and have the same thing.

The WASR thumbhole is useful only as a placeholder for a real stock.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
from wat i uderstand the chinese ban was after 1994.  so no more guns imported after 1994.  tis why some dealers want a premium for MAKs.

Quoted:

No, chinese "ban" started in 89 and was "finalized" in 94.

MAK 90 has a better trigger, thicker receiver and is designed to take full cap mags.  Only drawback is having to make it 922r compliant after purchase if you want a pistol grip, normal stock or muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
i kid u not i have seen MAK90s try to sell for *GULP* $799.99, high end.  most are selling them for $400-500.  pick 'em up while u still can.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#17]
As an FFL earlier in my life, I sold a shitload of MAK90's in the mid '90's.  I condidered them to be cheap sheet metal concoctions from red chinese meant to take all of our american dollars.  The Chinese never invented anything- just copied everybody else's inventions cheaply.

Now they're treasured posessions?  The most I charged for them was $240 and the least was $190.  Wish I could have all of those back now....

FWIW Bulgi stuff beats Chicom any day IMO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Aren't they all the same except for the wood?

NO! The Chinese rifle is far superior to the Romanian.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#19]
The Romys are a trunk (or back of pickup bed) gun.  They look rough, feel rough (until you do some polishing). The FCG from Century sucks and I ened up replacing it (even after I tried polishing it up).

I droped my SAR1 on the concrete at a range one day, and could not tell any damage done to the weapon.  My SAR1 is a beast, and it is great for abuse and I love it.

The MAK90's I have seen are much nicer and have much better triggers.  They only physical issue I have seen on them is where someone ground off the bayonet lug and or welded on the FSB and it looked like crap.  This is only with a very few.  Fit and finish are much better.  You can sometimes find ones with the under folder receiver cutouts blanked off.

My SAR 1 goes bang everytime and feeds wolf ammo like candy.  It all depends on what you are after.  A guy I know has a MAK90 and really loves it and he says it shoots great.

I would expect the MAK to be a more accurate shooter.  You can always add the side scope mount.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Bought My MAK90 in '93. Great bang for buck! Have added Tapco trigger group & black polymer stock, PG, & HG's. What an improvement! Plus it looks cooler now. Bump-Fire Heaven. (Hang on for dear life & lean into it!!!)
The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

So the WASR don't take regular AK mag.?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the WASR don't take regular AK mag.?

If it's a single stack  AK  ,  it takes single stack mags and if it takes double stack mags , then they take double !!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay...  so where do I find another new MAK-90?

Or what do other people prefer, and where do you get them?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Okay...  so where do I find another new MAK-90?

Or what do other people prefer, and where do you get them?

Cruise pawnshops and M&P G-shops who sell evil guns cheap because they are just evil. If you are real lucky you will find an early Mak 90 with a threaded muzzle and cleaning rod.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top