Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 7:29:19 PM EDT
ok, so I've come accross a cheapish Romy underfolder kit.  How hard are these to build up on bent flats?  I'm planning on doing a fixed stock build and have a general idea of how to do it, and am going to have some expirened friends help.  However, non of them have done an underfolder build.  How is it different?  What extra tools will I need? Can I use the same flat or do I have to get a different one?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
come on my dark side brothers!  Help me out here!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You can use any 1mm receiver or flat for your underfolder.  Hard part will be to make all the proper holes line up on the rear.  Lots of fitting and cutting.  Fitting and cutting.   Would not recommend the pre cut underfolder receivers.  Problem is to many different kinds out there and may not match yours.

Look in the build it section for more advice.  Here is one just finished

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=75130
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
so basically I can use the non-underfolder flat, then cut the holes after bending?  That doesn't seem too hard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm about to do an underfolder as well.  Shouldn't be to difficult just more time consuming.  Basically you are using the rear block as a template.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
id go with a oow rec  
i always tell people to start with a 100% rec
after you have couple of builds done then try and build your own rec also if you want
alot of people who try there first build on a flat never finish

btw im guessing your have a rommy/yugo kit
wich means the the holes wont lineup on your flat
also the oow is alittle thicker and will fit the yugo rear block better (yugo rear is smaller than standard)

hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
id go with a oow rec  
i always tell people to start with a 100% rec
after you have couple of builds done then try and build your own rec also if you want
alot of people who try there first build on a flat never finish

btw im guessing your have a rommy/yugo kit
wich means the the holes wont lineup on your flat
also the oow is alittle thicker and will fit the yugo rear block better (yugo rear is smaller than standard)

hope this helps

now when you say holes do you mean trunion holes?  Because for that very reason I was going to order flats without trunion holes drilled.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I am about to start my first (AK) build myself, and like you my 1st project is an undefolder. The Candyman gave you some solid advise, and you will no doubt hear other people tell you the same thing: Start with a 100% receiver for your fist build, save the flats for later.

Like you I have spent quite a bit of time reading up and prepping for this build, studying on what to get and what not to do. I have learned to heed the advice of those here who have several builds under their belt. They are trying to save you a lot of grief by suggesting a 100% build.

100% isn't really finished. You will still have to line up and cut out the holes for both your front and rear trunions as most receivers I've seen were still missing these holes. Since they are already bent, you won't have any choice but to cut these on a finished frame.

It'll take some patience for sure. If it is your first gun build it's hard to estimate the difficulty of the build before starting. What might look to be the easiest thing to do might turn out to be a real pain, but on the other hand that one thing that you worry about the most just may turn out to be the easiest,
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you are heart set on building, I would just buy one. There is a nice Chinese one on the ee right now.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=292592

The end is not closed but you can have that fixed at InRange for $50 (he fixed my MAK that is just like this).
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am about to start my first (AK) build myself, and like you my 1st project is an undefolder. The Candyman gave you some solid advise, and you will no doubt hear other people tell you the same thing: Start with a 100% receiver for your fist build, save the flats for later.

Like you I have spent quite a bit of time reading up and prepping for this build, studying on what to get and what not to do. I have learned to heed the advice of those here who have several builds under their belt. They are trying to save you a lot of grief by suggesting a 100% build.

100% isn't really finished. You will still have to line up and cut out the holes for both your front and rear trunions as most receivers I've seen were still missing these holes. Since they are already bent, you won't have any choice but to cut these on a finished frame.

It'll take some patience for sure. If it is your first gun build it's hard to estimate the difficulty of the build before starting. What might look to be the easiest thing to do might turn out to be a real pain, but on the other hand that one thing that you worry about the most just may turn out to be the easiest,

I never said this was my first build, I helped with a friends AK pistol build from an AMD kit on a 100% reciever.  These will be my first fixed stock and underfolder builds, I was just asking how the underfolder build differed from the fixed stock build.  In the long run it probably doesn't matter since I'll most likely be doing it at a arfcom hometown build party, with a bunch of guys who, collectivly, have done probably over 40-50 builds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless you are heart set on building, I would just buy one. There is a nice Chinese one on the ee right now.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=292592

The end is not closed but you can have that fixed at InRange for $50 (he fixed my MAK that is just like this).

I already bought an AK, now I want to build some.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top