Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/1/2005 8:52:05 PM EDT
Just got my first underfolder together. MGS kit on a Tapco flat. It was interesting getting the underfolder stock together. Any suggestions on finishes ? Tried ceramic paint on first build. It was OK.  Gunkote ( spray can) on second,$$$$$$$$.  I fabricated a baking oven for curing. What should I try next?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Great looking rifle! I can't wait to get started, just waiting on some tools and some days off. Even though you have a baking oven, I think you should try Duracoat next, just so you can tell me how it works out! Space limitations will keep me from building a special oven. Glad to see you're getting good results with the builds, I hope I can manage the same.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
what is all this talk about special ovens? Do I just have an extra large kitchen oven and don't know it?!?!?... (momma almost kicked my butt for that one... )

nice build.   what did you use to cut out the underfolder slots?

seriousely, it is addictive.  Way to much fun.

I used to spend hours polishing and blueing, but it is so much easier to paint them with ceramic engine paint, and cheap. Not as durable as the other options though. Still it looks good, and protects better than blueing IMHO

I would rather spend the $30 on guncoat or moly resin than spend all day polishing and removing old paint for a good blueing. All that work, it  teh suks. And I found out the hard way that sandblasting/blueing is rust prone, compared to polishing and blueing
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks nice.

Try Duracoat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Did the "tape trick" to transfer the hole layout onto receiver. Then centerpunched and drilled the locking tab holes. Did the large center hole w/ stepped drill bit ( You can see it in the first pic, far left) to get it close and finished it with a Dremel. Really not that difficult. Here is the oven I made. Nothin says lovin like AK's in the oven.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet!  Great job!  How did you get the lower rails installed?  I don't see any spot welds!

Why don't you bead blast it and blue it?

yours,
One Rusty Nut
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Drilled holes in side of receiver and plug welded them with a mig. Ground and sanded welds flush. Can you use cold bluing ??
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did the "tape trick" to transfer the hole layout onto receiver. Then centerpunched and drilled the locking tab holes. Did the large center hole w/ stepped drill bit ( You can see it in the first pic, far left) to get it close and finished it with a Dremel. Really not that difficult. Here is the oven I made. Nothin says lovin like AK's in the oven.
i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/busij44/2005-08-28001.jpg
i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/busij44/2005-08-28003.jpg

Loks goo, but when you riveted, don't the rivets stick out, since they are still silver?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Screw build. Receiver is still bare steel. Going to try to test fire later today so I can disassemble and apply finish.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top