Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT
Just got my two kits in from scott at dpharms. I had already bought two from akparts.com.

The nicest one overall was from dpharms. Its a 1978, with a triange AND 'tree' marked trunnion (or whatever the heck its supposed to be). The G is done more cleanly on this one, and the four digit serial number is stamped into the lower handguard below the G (none of the others had this). The other dph kit was an 81, triangle trunnion, with some minor surface rust on just the FCG and FSB. Both of the ones from akparts.com are 86, triangle trunnions.

The nicest wood was on one of the akparts.com kits. Its virtually perfect. The second best would be the '78 from dph. Third, akparts.com (a few dents and such). The worst is the '81 from dph (unless it cleans up, i dont know if the roughness is in the finish, or if it just has something on it, but the other three were smooth with some shine).

All four have canted front sight blocks to some degree. The one with the least (and it isnt much) is the '78 from dph. The other three are canted various degrees, with one of the akparts.com one being the worst.

All four also appear to be be unfired, or if they were fired it was very very little.

All in all, both places have very nice kits with nice barrels/parts, and theres a chance that you could end up with some really nice stocks as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Heres a pic of the markings on the 78.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What grade was yours?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What grade was yours?

There werent really grades at the time, it was just two of the matching number kits that were $110. Same with akparts.com, matching numbers, $110.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, anyone know what the earlyist kit is date stamped?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
More pics maybe?

Heres both of the dpharms kits. Didnt feel like digging out the akparts.com ones, but they would be about the same as the 78 with dark wood.

'78

'81

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that a bandaid on the slant brake? I guess if it works to keep it from poking out of the box during shipping, then why not!? :)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, its a rolled up piece of paper that goes most of the way down the barrel. Its the only one that had it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think they call that the "wick"...and usually only in NEW barrels.

I concur.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur.

I'll confirm it. Got one with it and the barrel in new
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur.

I'll confirm it. Got one with it and the barrel in new

Same here. My 1986 kit arrived today as I was leaving, so I had to stop for a minute...

1986 was the year I was hoping for as 1986 was a special year for me.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I've gotten 2 now with the paper in the barrel. Both are NEW.  These Romanian kits are all that you could want.  They are new, demilled decently, and have a parkerized finnish the really does not need and further work.  I built a '77 kit with a parked Global Trades 100%, the receiver matched nearly perfectly! I'd post a pic but my privliges do not allow.  Can be seen over on Gunco.  http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12981  Take a look, even I as the proud builder could not believe how well it came out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top