Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:15:09 PM EDT
You know what I mean, the fancy six- or eight-piece fire-control group used in some modern AKs, to slow down the rate of fire and ensure battery before hammer fall-- How does all that shit work?? Can someone point me to a good explanation of what all those parts are, what they're supposed to do and how it's all timed??? This has been bugging me since I first saw a set of them, and discovered that there's nothing about them in Small Arms of the World. Thanks in advance-- Lee
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The rate reducer is a kinda like a secondary disconnector that the right had side of the hammer engages. What it does is slow down the rate at which hammer gets cocked and thus it also slows down the rate of fire. In an original Russian manual it says the rate reducer is meant to slow down the rate of fire so as to allow the user to have a more accurate shot. Plus, without the rate reducer sometimes the hammer was known to strike the bolt prior to the bolt carrier fully seating the round in the barrel- this would create a mis-fire.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I will get me partner to give the tech info.  Let me tell you the rate reducer makes a world of difference.  2-3 round bursts are like buttah.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The rate reducer does not slow down the cocking of the hammer, it retards the hammer from falling on the firing pin. The rate reducer does not make contact on the right side of the hammer, it makes contact on the center(back) of the hammer, sear front center of hammer. The rate reducer does sit on the right side of the trigger. That is why they did away with the double hook trigger. A full auto AK would not fire out of battery due to the sear, the bolt carrier hits it after the bolt is forward, and locked just as many other full autos. The rate reducers were intended just to slow the rate of fire. I have fired many Full Auto AKs with and without rate reducers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Please allow me to clarify: I'd like to know what components are involved, what the parts nomenclature is, and how everything functions together and is timed. If this is explained in a webpage somewhere, I would be much obliged for the url, or for a technical description otherwise-- Lee
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a stupid question but,  can you put one of them on a SA ak or are they only on FA?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
They would do you no good to have on a semi - auto ak.  You are not pulling the trigger fast enough to make a difference.  So why bother.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You should not put any full auto parts in a semi auto rifle. The parts are not the same. And I think that would be against the law. If you are caught with a full auto you may do up to 10 years. Get a good semi auto trigger group and you should be happy with the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't plan on ever putting FA parts on a semi auto but was wondering if there was anything that would "ensure battery before hammer fall" for a semi auto.  When I took my first/new AK out it had a few FTFire problems that seemed to be from lite primer strikes.  I figured this was from the hammer being released to soon and it sliding over the pin and not getting a direct hit.  

I don't know, so I ask so I can learn.
Thanks

Quoted:
You should not put any full auto parts in a semi auto rifle. The parts are not the same. And I think that would be against the law. If you are caught with a full auto you may do up to 10 years. Get a good semi auto trigger group and you should be happy with the trigger pull.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#9]
  I'll bet that anything that could " insure battery before hammerfall " would, in the eyes of the ATF techs, be considered a disconnector. (As that is exactly what its function is.)
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The rate reducers were intended just to slow the rate of fire. I have fired many Full Auto AKs with and without rate reducers.

Does the rate reducer work?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
--Okay, once again: I don't want to build a machinegun. I just want to understand how it works, and what the components are, and how they're timed, and hopefully what they're called-- I believe the term is "abstract technical curiosity." Anybody??
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Go Here for some text.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top