Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:44:09 PM EDT
Ok, I found the SN# on the gun! Had a scare about the gun not having a SN but it was under the paint and is real faint.

Anyhow here is my Maadi that I picked up used for $250. It has a removable flash hider, some sort of ventilated handguard dealy job, two mags one is a 40 round. The gun is a post ban I think, but it has all the pre ban stuff so far except the bayo lug? I an guessing that the previous owner did this. Also the gun seams to have an overstamp of Intrac on top of a faint Styer NJ stamp. Odd stuff!

I plan to refinish teh receiver and possible the wood. I need a cleaning rod and a front sight as teh old owner put some sort of High vis BS on it.

Not a bad deal Ah?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Should I just keep it like that or correct it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
besides the gas block..........that front sight is not what came on them, that front sight is a AK47 front sight, probably a chinese one  as well........the front sight on all MAADIs are AKM front sight. are you sure that is a MAADI ARM? and not a MAADI MISR-90........AK47 front sight, gas block.......and the barrel looks to be a little thicker then what my MAADI ARM is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
the bolt carrier is a AK47 as well........not a AKM.........I have a feeling what you may have is a "put together"  or a chinese rifle that soemone stamped MAADI on it..........I don't know, looks iffy to me

is there a "cartouche" on the left of the sight block? or any markings like MISR
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
This is both sides of the receiver....

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I could not find an import date on the sights at all.

So it looks as if someone may have taken a maadi and put a kit with chi parts on it?

Damn help me decode this thing guys!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
well whatever it is........it ain't no egyptian AK, that's for sure, just the receiver is.............if I were you I would have the headspace checked........no telling what bubba slapped that thing together.

if you look closely, you can see a impression  around the rivets, and the rivets don't look all that good either, it looks like that farthest one  usn't seated, but it could be the angle........someone took a ARM apart, and put a chinese AK parts on it..........yep, I would check that thing out throughly before I would fire it........

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Roger that!

It looks like the fit of all the parts is real good. The finish is the suck but it was obviously a spray can job.

Are the Chi kits any good?

Did I get ripped off or did I get some extra crap?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
here is an exploded view of all the parts.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Roger that!

It looks like the fit of all the parts is real good. The finish is the suck but it was obviously a spray can job.

well chinese parts are good.........just not on a european receiver. that was the whole problem with the MISR-90.......those were chinese MAK90 parts mixed with egyptian parts, on a european receiver.........but it looks like whoever did this, at least may have changed out the european trunion with a chinese one, seeing that the rivets were redone......so it may be all right.

but if I were you I would at least have the headspaced check........that is something you don't want to take for granted was done right. bad things will happen if it is not within limits.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks man!

I guess if its an abortion of a rifle it at least sort of looks cool...

Oh well, live and learn!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
as for getting ripped off, you kinda got ripped of in a way, you paid for something that isn't what it is..........it depends if the thing is at least safe to fire, if it is and you don't have to pay any more to get it headpsaced correct, what you have is a put together for 250, which isn't all that much considering what you got.........yeah it isn't excatly "correct" but if it works, and your happy you got a good buy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd say you still got a good deal even if it is a Chigytian.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Strange, but my Maadi ARM came with the same vented upper handguard as yours when I bought it. I've since replaced it with the correct gas tube and a laminated upper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
If everything checks out ok, it will be a good blaster that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roger that!

well chinese parts are good.........just not on a european receiver. that was the whole problem with the MISR-90.......those were chinese MAK90 parts mixed with egyptian parts, on a european receiver.........but it looks like whoever did this, at least may have changed out the european trunion with a chinese one, seeing that the rivets were redone......so it may be all right.

but if I were you I would at least have the headspaced check........that is something you don't want to take for granted was done right. bad things will happen if it is not within limits.

Look closely at the second picture in the receiver closeups.  That looks like a sleeved Chinese barrel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#19]
The good news is that your barrel front end does appear to have a bayonet lug although you'll have to use the older "slip on" bayonets.  And the cleaning rod holder is intact so you can put one in.  Looks like it's one of those polytech legend barrel front end from Keng's Firearms Specialty.

Also that's a muzzlebrake, not a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Good find and a good rifle.

Max
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top