BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 8:03:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
By deactivated, does that mean that they welded the thing shut and turned it into a statue?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
By deactivated, does that mean that they welded the thing shut and turned it into a statue?

I think deact means the receiver is  made of plastic or they weld the barrel shut and/or weld the receiver to the bolt...

I know cheaper than dirt is selling AMD65 deacts with all working parts except the receiver, which is plastic and a wooden dowel glued into the barrel.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, in the UK they deactivate by doing something to make the barrel unusable.... is that correct?  I don't think they do anything to the receiver which is why we can get them here.

The Romanian dimples really don't look too far off from the Global ones.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
DOH.....that sucks, they really did deactivate the sucka
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The deacts I saw in England (Nottingham) had the receiver bridge cut (from magwell to handguard) and the barrel cut lengthwise underneath the handguards, after the chamber was welded up.

They aren't legal here in the USA though because the receiver is still basically whole, or at least repairable.

Well, I got part of it right anyway...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The deacts I saw in England (Nottingham) had the receiver bridge cut (from magwell to handguard) and the barrel cut lengthwise underneath the handguards, after the chamber was welded up.

They aren't legal here in the USA though because the receiver is still basically whole, or at least repairable.

Well, I got part of it right anyway...

They go a little too far....

Probably the only thing usable on that rifle is the folding stockand handguards, along with some sundry other parts.

Ben

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you see how much it was going for? Just curious..........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever it is, it's incredibly too much for deact guns! Of course if you could legally import it here and use the receiver......

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Scroll through there for some very interesting de-acts. An MP-44 deactivated in 1993, a bunch of MP-40's, a Bren. Man the '68 and '86 bullshit bans need to go away so some of these historic arms can be imported in-tact and functioning. Otherwise they'll all become expensive props.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I was pissed at seeing the Bren gun on display at the gun show Saturday.

Three huge torch cuts through the receiver. What a waste of a piece of history.

What's worse is that it still went for $350.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Never mind the Romy, did you see the AKS74,AKS74U and a what looked like a Type 3 underfolder?

I think these are de-activated by plugging and welding the barrel, then the bolt is modified.  FP hole is welded shut maybe?  I think they do a couple of other things.  The description says they can be dry fired, field stripped etc.  An expensive toy, but just a toy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top