Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
I have lots of AK kits including five Romanians, two PMKMS, one PMKM, about four AMD-65s, and a M-92 Krink...  Beyond these kits I also have my SAR-1, SAR-3, and AMD-65 based AK pistol...

All of my AKs are 7.62x39 with exception of my SAR-3 and I like the looks of the Tantial kits but I originally put it off because I didn't want to pressure myself to buy a couple hundred 5.45x39 mags or a couple thousand rounds of ammo...  I just have to have lots of mags and ammo... right?

Am I the only person that is watching this ship leave and not jumping at this opportunity to get one of these kits?  Somehow I have a feeling I will regret this in the future but if I had the money to get any more kits I know I would still stick to my 7.62x39 kits and get another of the M-92 krink kits or a couple more PMKMS kits myself...
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
With future barrel importation ban, most likely AK74 type of kits & barrels will be harder to find.  I stocked up a few more AK74 & Tantals kits…you should, too IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't buy one either.

If I decide I need a 74, I'll just buy an Arsenal since they aren't affected by the ruling anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I just found this website from a link in the EE....

I know thse prices are insane (AT THIS TIME)

(LINK REMOVED AS WE DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO GET SCREWED THERE...)

But how long do we think it will be before these are the real prices...?

British Sten MKIII Parts Kit
Code: 021
Price: $119.95

British Sten MKII Parts Kit
Code: 022
Price: $349.95

IZZI UZI 9mm SMG Parts Kit , Excellent
Code: 046
Price: $329.95

British Sten Loop Stock SMG Parts Kit
Code: 117
Price: $159.95
Quantity in Basket:  none

Bulgarian AK-74 part kit w/ wood stock
Code: 750
Price: $399.95

Factory HK91/G3 Collapsible Stock Complete**ON SALE
Code: 1005
Price: $299.95

Polish Tantal AK74 5.45x39 Parts Kit JUST IN
Code: 473

Polish PMKMS 7.62x39 Parts Kit**JUST IN
Code: 159
Price: $349.95

AMD-65 Hungarian Parts Kit Wood Grips**IN Stock
Code: 581

Romanian AK47 Parts kit**VG
Code: 1433
Price: $169.95

Yugo M70 AB1 7.62x39 Caliber Parts Kit
Code: 3000
Price: $279.99

Yugo M-92 7.62x39 Krinkov Underfolder Kit
Code: YUG92KT
Price: $629.95

I bet we will see prices like these by next june.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Please dont link FGW, they have ripped off many people on this board.  That company is a joke.

$329 for an AMD65 kit!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt worry about not getting a Tantal, I didnt get one.  I dont really care for them myself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Only reason I don't have one is because I have a Bulgy triangle side folder among my 5.45 group.

Same here. If i had not just dumped a ton of money into a bulgarian AKS-74, i would have gotten a tantal. Well, i would have gotten a 5.45 krink, but the boat left a long time ago on those.

5.45x39 out of a 74 brake is awesome BTW.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Most kits that have ever been sold are never built into a working firearm.  The majority are bought by guys who see an ad in SGN or online and think "That would be cool to have" or "I will build that someday" but they never will.  Seriously, how many Sten kits are every built into a working semi rifle?  Same goes for AK kits.  The number of guys with the tools and skill to build an AK kit are very few relatively speaking.

I suspect that kits of all kinds will continue to flow into the market for many years to come as guys realize that that "cool full auto AK47" is really just a box of greasy parts taking up room in the closet.  They won't be too hard to come by even with the "barrel ban".
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think a tantal is on my list either.  I have 4 PMKMS, 4 romanian, and 3 AMD 65 kits of which a third are built and the rest in the works.  All 7.62 x 39.  The ammo is cheap and easily obtained.  The kits are a blast to build and fun to shoot.

I also have a colt lightweight, a M16A1 clone, and a CMP service rifle;  I don't see a 5.45 coming anywhere near the quality, accuracy, etc. of a 5.56 so why would I ever want one?

Stick to the 7.62 and let the others wander off into 5.45 land - that just leaves more AK47s for us!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I skipped the Tantal parade as well.  I am really more of a fixed stock guy.  I've got my 74's and will stick with those.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Jeepcreep,
    Who has Bulgarian AK-74 kits? I think I am gonna get another kit as well

Quoted:
If you don't care for the Tantal set up, buy you a different rear trunion, and muzzle break. You can build a standard 74. Currently Bulgarian 74 kits are 275...Greentimber has the Tantal (builder grade) for $199. Not a bad deal IMHO.....

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Tantal and 12 other kits at home and I have had two rifles built but so fa none from my kits for some reason. I bought the Tantal because it looks cool and coolness is everything. Most of my AKs are side or underfolders and I do not even like that type of stock, but I bought them anyway because feinstein, kennedy, boxer and others say they are evil and as such it is a moral imperative that I have them. I say buy it if you have the $$$ and don't need anything else more urgently. You can always sell it later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

$329 for an AMD65 kit!  

You laugh now....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm.  Tantals are a little different.  Front brake is very different.  HG's are unique with the marbling.  Wire stock is well a wire stock .... All in all these are pretty cool.  Soon as my US Front Tantal Brake arrives this kit is going off to be built.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#19]
$330 for a AMD-65 i can get over that wonder if they have sold any at that price. ok if anyone wants to give me $330 i'll sale mine
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]

There is no future barrel ban-- its a current ban.

Just signed by president Bush within the last couple of weeks.

All foreign replacement parts for non-sporting arms are now banned from import.  And, not surprisingly (to me anyway) a republican is behind it.

Will this wake y'all up?

Let me guess, you think I'm full of it, don't you?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually, Bush didnt sign anything, its just something the BATF came up with based upon earlier law.

Bush isnt doing anything to help us though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just signed by president Bush within the last couple of weeks.

All foreign replacement parts for non-sporting arms are now banned from import.  And, not surprisingly (to me anyway) a republican is behind it.

Will this wake y'all up?

Let me guess, you think I'm full of it, don't you?
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm

Don Galt you need to go back to AWBANSUNSET.com where you've been trolling for a while...oh wait, you got banned....

FYI, you're a little bit LATE with informing us about the letter. We've known about it for a while.

YOu may now resume your usual AK discussions thread...

Ben
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like the Tantial kits are all done with perhaps a few hold outs ...  Dans says they are all out as does Akron Armory...

I just got my Grade I PMKMS kit that I ordered direct from Dan's on 7-21 and it is exceptionally nice...  I got in on the original Global Trades kits and even paid the extra for their "Select Grade" kit and this kit I just got from Dan's is MUCH... MUCH... nicer!  So nice that as much as I couldn't afford to do so I just ordered two more of these Grade 1 PMKMS kits as the kit I just got is without reservation the best kit I have ever seen...  

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I didn't get the tantals.....and I aint losing one second of sleep either
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I DID NOT jump on the Tantal Wagon either.  IMHO, the're friggin fugly.  The wire stock is real useful......right.

ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you don't care for the Tantal set up, buy you a different rear trunion, and muzzle break. You can build a standard 74. Currently Bulgarian 74 kits are 275...Greentimber has the Tantal (builder grade) for $199. Not a bad deal IMHO.....

Link?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I didn't get a Tantal.  I'm not much for hording away parts, guns or kits for a later cash in and the Tantal doesn't really interest me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I passed on the Tantal and also sold all of my side-folding stocks but one on a SAR-1.  It seems that as I get older all the old injuries are coming back to haunt me.  

I have one Bulgarian AK-74 kit being built (dropped it off last Thursday, it is getting the moly-coat today, and test fired at the range on Sunday) so I will be picking up the finished rifle at the first of the week.   I could have made a nice profit off this kit but figured I better have it built or I'd regret it someday.

Sold of all but one Romanian kit and it will be put up for sale in a couple of months if I decide to get rid of it.

I ordered one of the Polish grade 1 AKMS 7.62x39 under-folder kits because I figure it will make a nice rifle that will hold its value when the kits do dry up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I buy allot of AK kits that I dont need, or will probably never build.. Why? My interestest might change, and what is availible today, might not be availible in the future. Also, allot of times they are investments. With the ban in place, the price will go up for sure. Even if the barrels didnt dry up, some kits become rare as time goes on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Stottman speaks the truth!

Can you show me a Kalashnikov that is more unique than the TANTAL? I can think of one or two, but not many. Get while the gettin's good!!

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=286494
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Tantal's....cool build - I bought 12 of them...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have a Tantal and 12 other kits at home and I have had two rifles built but so fa none from my kits for some reason. I bought the Tantal because it looks cool and coolness is everything. Most of my AKs are side or underfolders and I do not even like that type of stock, but I bought them anyway because feinstein, kennedy, boxer and others say they are evil and as such it is a moral imperative that I have them. I say buy it if you have the $$$ and don't need anything else more urgently. You can always sell it later.

Exactly!  +1
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!  +1

Correct.. I just spent my money on a pair of PMKMS kits that are surplus instead...  I have lots of extra kits, just no tantial and I am going to watch them all sell...  Perhaps I will regret it some day but as long as I don't do something foolish like sell my surplus PMKMS kit I will just build that instead!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm picking up my PMKM parts kit next week when I get paid.  After that it'll only be a matter of finding someplace around Fort Benning that can assemble it for me and do a good job.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I received my Grade 1 PMKMS   from Dan's Ammo today.  The only apparent wear on the matching parts rifle kit is on the upper laminated handguard and the rear underfolder trunnion which is really worn as to the finish?  Kind of makes me think the rear trunnion may not be the original but the wear on it could have come from the rifle sitting in a rack.

The condition of the handguards are not a major concern as I have a like new set I got from laukart some time ago and I will use them on this underfolder if and when I have it built.  I will then clean up the handguards from this kit and use them on my sidefolding SAR-1.

I pick up my AK-74 build from Piece of History Firearms on Monday.  This rifle was dropped off last Friday and is already done.  The builder just has to test fire it on Sunday.  If the AK-74 lives up to some of the reviews I have seen of Mario's work then I may have him build the Polish underfolder for me. The one good thing is I didn't need to wait for several months to have the rifle completed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#36]
is the ban just on imported barrels or all ak parts?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Correct.. I just spent my money on a pair of PMKMS kits that are surplus instead...  I have lots of extra kits, just no tantial and I am going to watch them all sell...  Perhaps I will regret it some day but as long as I don't do something foolish like sell my surplus PMKMS kit I will just build that instead!

If you want a Tantal, but don't have the cash, I'll trade you one for an underfolder. I hate to see my Darkside brothers miss out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want a Tantal, but don't have the cash, I'll trade you one for an underfolder. I hate to see my Darkside brothers miss out.

Funny...  and now a month and a half later I pay a whole lot more to buy a kit that I should have bought months ago...  I just couldn't not get at least one 5.45x39 AK and when I saw that I can build this on a normal Tapco flat without too much issue it was time to get one...

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13429

I have no self control

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#39]
You should get one before it's too late Quarterbore, they are cool.

I skipped the AMD65 rush and now regret it
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I wanted to buy one but I didn't have the cash. And now I missed the boat. All the Tantals I see now don't come with the mags.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just signed by president Bush within the last couple of weeks.   All foreign replacement parts for non-sporting arms are now banned from import.  And, not surprisingly (to me anyway) a republican is behind it.

Will this wake y'all up?   http://www.atf.gov/firearms/071305openletter.htm  

Yep, +1.  Republicans are a little better than Dems, but not much.  Neigher side truly cares about the second amendment OR the 5th.  Read the fifth again, the patriot act effectively eliminates our rights to be secure in our home and our person.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I buy allot of AK kits that I dont need, or will probably never build.. Why? My interestest might change, and what is availible today, might not be availible in the future. Also, allot of times they are investments. With the ban in place, the price will go up for sure. Even if the barrels didnt dry up, some kits become rare as time goes on.

Agree, and to generalize a bit, I've regretted things I've bought and I've regretted not buying things I should have. The regret is much stronger on things I didn't buy over the years than it is on the things I regretted buying. Selling is always an option if you regret a purchase, but there is a possibility that the opportunity may never come again for things you initially take a pass on.

Think 1985 - Definately should have bought a few machine guns!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Heck, here is a thread discussing Tantals and I gotta put in a shameless plug about mine being for sale

Whoops.

Tantals are a VERY interesting rifle and rate up their on the list of most interesting kalashnikovs. For one, they have that freakin' long muzzle brake designed to fire rifle grenades, there is not lever on the RSB to flip up to let you remove the gas tube, it originally had a selector on the LEFT side, and it had a selector for a 3rd burst....how cool was that. They Poles copied the M16A2 in that respect .

Get one while they last. The only reason I'm selling mine is that I have no need for another caliber (all I have are .30s-3006 and 7.62x39) to stock.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Right now it is the cheapest, and nearly the only 5.45 AK kit you can purchase.  Just build it like any other 74  kit, that is what I plan to do.  [Or maybe i'll stash it and sell it for double my money in a year!]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top