Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 11:26:57 AM EDT
Hello all , Im a confirmed AR type , and will probably add an AK 47 type rifle ( MUST take CHEAP thiry rd military type mags.) , and would like to know which models are worth buying or not . I've 'heard' that the less expensive verstions wear rapidy (1Krds)and tend to start doubling ....? I dont want anything too special but would like a Flash Hider and Bayo lug maybe an underfolder too . AIM has some that come with Bayo and stuff for @$380 . (Bulgies i think , not under folders) are they good ? ,Im coming to think there are export quality vertions and then good ones....i know whats new ? , any advise appericiated . ive owned two sks's and a mini thirty (so the pressed vs. srcewed barral thing is the kind of info i want regaurding AKs) and i am wondering about AKs and ido like the .7 62x39 rd . and may end up buying a realy nice sks if nothing else. Thanks RL

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want cheap, forget the underfolder. The cheapest I've ever seen one was $475 for a decent quality one. Milled or stamped receiver doesn't matter too much according to most, unless you plan on shooting 20K + rounds through it. The ones for $380 are most probably Romanian, and there are a bunch of people who know more about those than I do. They usually say quality can range from great to horrendous, sometimes just luck of the draw. I am finishing my first AK, although I have admired them for years. As for taking cheap mags, any standard configuration AK should accept all Com-Bloc/Chinese mags. If someone knows something different, or if I've said something amiss, please let him know and correct me of my erroneous ways.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look for a used SAR-1 or a used WSAR-1 these should be fairly cheap. The reason I say used is because the SAR is a nice rifle designed for double stack mags (30 rounders) but is no longer imported so your pretty much stuck with a used one. The WSAR rifles are still being shipped in and these are the ones advertised with the bayo's and breaks but these were originally designed for 10 rd single stack mags and then converted to double stack once they arrive here. These can be either a hit or miss thats why I would either buy one used from someone that can confirm the rifle functions properly or new if I could look it over. Both these should be available fairly easily for under $400. Another option would be to buy a rifle made on a U.S. receiver from an imported parts kit these are getting pretty common and Ive seen some reasonable prices. Ive heard lots of good reviews from these kit rifles. I know Atlantic Firearms has alot of options and they seem to treat ar15.net members nicely and even offer discounts. Check the EE for reasonible used rifles and new rifles with member discounts.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top