Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 2:26:00 PM EDT
What is the best way to remove the original Bulgarian painted finish.  I'm trying to decide whether or not to park my rifle, use some kind of moly coating or send it off to AK USA and have Chris re-finish it.  I was doing some light work on the trigger guard yesterday and noticed that acetone removes the finish but am not sure if this would be the way to go.  What do you guys think?

Also if I do decide to use Norrell's moly coat what color would be the best?  Flat SOCOM or the Satin black?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use the cheap aerosol brake cleaner from Wally World. Does a great job of stripping off the Bulgarian painted finish.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
glass bead blast is fast, not messy and effective.

I have a bead blaster but the only thing about glass beads is they tend to polish the surface which isn't good if I'm going to use the moly resin.  I guess of course I could give it a quick grit blasting after words to rough it up a little.

Thanks guys.  Once again my $20 membership has probably paid for itself several times over.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top