Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:17:50 AM EDT
I picked up an B-West AK receiver made back in 1989 - any one have any info on it ? also this is preban can it be used to make a SBR ?  easyer than a new receiver ? all input welcome. Thank You, Conley
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]

You can still use it to build an SBR, as you could use any other receiver that you
could purchase today.  SBR weapons are NFA guns and have special taxes that
you have to pay to legally register the receiver / weapon BEFORE it is constructed
as such weapon.  You can fill out a FORM one, get you set of fingerprints, have the
local CLEO sign off on it and pay the $200. You need to send a recent head and
shoulders picture along with it too.  90 days or so later you get the the paperwork
back and you are ready to go.

The date of MFGR of the receiver has nothing to do with building a SBR.
Since the ban is gone now, there is no significance to the date.
All B-west receivers were "preban"

The B-west receivers are pretty good, if you do a few things. Send it off to be properly
hardened.  Many of them were dead soft. Shouldnt be a problem if you have this done.
IIRC they were predrilled for Chicom ak parts. You will need to tig up the holes that you
will not be using and redrill the holes when you install the trunnions. Not a big deal.

2 years ago Denny's guns got a bunch of these and sold them off after they were properly
hardened.  I havent heard any bad things about them here. so they must be up and running well.
I have one built on a PMKMS kit and love it....probably my favorite AK to date.

Get a kit and get it up and running!!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input - this one has ben hardened and parked - so wiile be ok to build on - Thank You, Conley
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top