Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 10:15:07 AM EDT
With the exception of the obvious differences - heavier receiver, different furniture, and the barrel & bipod - are there any differences between an AK and an RPK?  FCG the same?  Bolt & carrier assembly the same?  Anything I'm missing?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
FCG, gas piston, and bolt carrier/ bolt are the same in both. Trunnion is different too, but since you knew about the receiver , you probably knew that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
AK= easy to get and inexpensive

RPK= hard to get and expensive
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
AK= easy to get and inexpensive

RPK= hard to get and expensive

Man... i can attest to that!!  I was thinking of buying one.

Cheap AK - $300.

RPK - about $1K or more !
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
rpk pipes with rifling still in them are hard to come by (rpk74 pipes in good/new condition are for sale at k-var now).

for a bullet hose, they are tough to beat.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking Campy.  I've got a long, heavy barrel (7.62x39) from a milled Polytech lined up and you know what kind of reciever its going on.  As long as the barrel & trunion are the only major parts difference, I'll use a Woodymaker FCG, some nice RPK furniture to finish it out, and a few 75rd drums to complete the package.  Was thinking of trying to find a PK carry handle and modify it to clamp on the barrel.  Any thoughts/suggestions on that or ideas who might have one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
rpk pipes with rifling still in them are hard to come by (rpk74 pipes in good/new condition are for sale at k-var now).

for a bullet hose, they are tough to beat.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking Campy.  I've got a long, heavy barrel (7.62x39) from a milled Polytech lined up and you know what kind of reciever its going on.  As long as the barrel & trunion are the only major parts difference, I'll use a Woodymaker FCG, some nice RPK furniture to finish it out, and a few 75rd drums to complete the package.  Was thinking of trying to find a PK carry handle and modify it to clamp on the barrel.  Any thoughts/suggestions on that or ideas who might have one?

But isn't the Polytech barrel only 20 inches?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You may be right; I haven't seen the barrel yet - bought it from a friend and I'll get it next week.  I have an NHM91 and an RPK built on a Firing Line milled receiver w/a Bulgie parts kit, but I want another RPK type.  I've got a line on a Polytech receiver to do the build on, but K-Var seems to be out of RPK kits in 7.62x39.  I know the 20" isn't exactly correct, but it'll get me a little more velocity and that RPK look.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to have the NHM-91, but sold it years back.  It was nice.

I bought an Egyptian Maadi PRM (has the 20 inch barrel) to create an RPK(like) clone. But after mucho research,  I'd rather have a "real" semi-auto RPk but can't find any kits.  The only thing available right now is an RPK-74 barrel assembly.  

IO has the shot out Romanian RPK barrel assemblys, but what good are those?

My only choices so far are the ARSENAL RPK  which is over a $1K, a Kreb's custom built Vepr RPK which pushes over $1600.

Based on those prices, I'm going to do some more research and keep hunting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If I were you, I'd buy the Arsenal RPK for $1K while you can. I have one, and wish I had a few more.

I'm getting the hint...  Buy the RPK....

I'm working on it! I just have to find a buyer for my left nut.....

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I were you, I'd buy the Arsenal RPK for $1K while you can. I have one, and wish I had a few more.

I'm getting the hint...  Buy the RPK....

I'm working on it! I just have to find a buyer for my left nut.....

LOL, I can't tell you hom many extra shifts I've worked since discovering AK's. Managed to pick up a NHM-91 with a bonus check and I bought one of the RPK74 barrels from KVAR that I plan on turning into an underfolder RPK. $$$$$
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top