Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 9:42:46 PM EDT
Mods - wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Romanian section or trouble shooting, or build it yourself.  Please move as appropriate.

OK, here is the problem - I got a SAR1 and it has been running good for the last year or so.   Fun to use to slay bottles and cans and what not.

Last time I took it to the range I was shooting it as I pulled the trigger back really slowly...  it double tapped.  

Strange, but I kept shooting it and it seemed fine.

But by the end of the day it started to get worse and I couldn't fire it without it popping out two at a time unless I pulled the trigger back REALLY fast.  I  was trying to diagnose it and figure out where it was doubling but I eventually had it triple and one of the rounds was for sure off the property...   so no more shooting it until I get a better idea of what is going on and how to fix it.

I'm guessing that it is a problem with the crappy US compliance parts that are put in the SAR1s.

I just need a second opinion.

What shoud/do I need to replace on this gun in your guy's opinions?  

Looking forward to your input.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy an new FCG and ditch the original.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll help you with your problem-how much do you want for it????
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You could play with the original fcg a tad but I agree with Combat_Jack. Cheap (as in inexpensive) G2 fcg from Tapco or an adjustable unit from Redstar Arms will fix your mess. The Century units just plain suck IMHO. I've shot a couple of SARs with cleaned up triggers that were pretty decent, but so much easier to buy a better made set. Once you install one you'll be ready to install others, the RSA shepherd's hook replacement plate is a blessing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Other questions, were you using light primer USA made ammo?
A slam fire can be dangerous as it is firing on the momentum of the closing (but sometimes
not fully) bolt.  This rarely happens in Kalashnikov weapons however, and generally,
I would agree with the other guys on the FGC being the culprit...  should
be a breeze to find out just by popping the top cover and cycling the trigger mech and carrier etc... ( on an empty gun!)  THat is another nice thing about AK's being able to watch the works in play with the top cover off..  but with those crappy USA parts, anything is possible.... it is crazy to think how gay-assed laws force manufactures/importers to replace perfectly good, military approved (READ: SAFE) parts with substandard ones, which themselves have no laws regulating any kind of quality/safety standard.... how  typical.

-C
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

I'm going to shit-can the parts and springs.

Looking at the TAPCO double hook FCG plus the hammer spring and retaining spring (they are less than $10 so might as well replace them while I'm in there)

I was thinking about replacing just the spring (thinking about what CAMPYBOB said) since the hammer might not be catching into place.  

I'm just too cheap to put a bunch of money into a $329 rifle.  LOL

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was doing that also. I had to grind a little off the front of the disconnector. The "hook" on the disconnector was too far back. Hope that helps!  Polished,Took the creep out,and ended up w/ a 5# pull!  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top