Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2004 10:25:30 PM EDT
Anyone done this? What changes in performance did you encounter? Closer range should get better, but how about longer distance shots, like 200yds. plus? How did you cut it? Any problems with the chrome flaking? Thanks in advance Amigos, flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that some of the US made guns are made that way. In 7.62 it should have a minimal effect on ballistics. Besides, its an AK, beyond 300m you probably have to aim by walking dust clouds into the target anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
First, thanks for the replies. Second, anyone know of any charts for the 7.62x39 velocity out of different length barrels?
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any problems with the chrome flaking?

Big bullshit myth.  Chrome lined barrels are not chrome plated like the bumper on your truck.  They are hard chromed where the chrome is chemically and physically part of the steel of the barrel.

If anyone tells you different and claim they have seen have seen a chrome barrel flake, they are either:

1.  Full of bullshit
2.  A fucking idoit
3.  Telling the truth because a barrel was improperly chrome lined.  Which the chance of this happening is about 0.000001%

later,
Scott
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
what kind of project are you working on that cuts an AK barrel down less than 16in?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what kind of project are you working on that cuts an AK barrel down less than 16in?

Just guessing he is going the "M4" barrel route...thought of it myself as well in the past...cut a 16 down to a 14.5 and then permanantly attach a lengthy muzzle device (74 comp maybe) to achieve legal 16 inch barrel length...very intersted in this thread as to benefits/ consequences...

Good luck flashlegs...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Besides, its an AK, beyond 300m you probably have to aim by walking dust clouds into the target anyway.

yup.

more than velocity/ballistic changes, the accuracy is more affected by shortening up an already short sight radius.

It was how Aquil Collins says he used his AK74 in Chechnya. now thats a name we havent heard in a while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Just guessing he is going the "M4" barrel route

Exactly MaingyManji, You guessed it! I'm trying to figure out the loss in velocity if I cut down the 16in barrel to 14.5. Of course there would be a muzzle device permenantly attaches per BATFE regulations. Plus, if there is going to be any problems with the chrome barrel flakeing. I've heard of people saying that the flakeing is BS and also from some shops that it needs to be cut useing there super duper special techniques. I'm guessing that someone out there has done this to an AK and got knowledge I seek. I know that on the AR side, the issue of chrome barrels flakeing after cut has been discussed, but didn't know if AKs are a bit different in the barrel production methods.
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Krebs AK103K with a 14.5" barrel and a 74 type brake attached. Accuracy at 100 yards is very good and its my most accurate AK. I dont usually shoot for groups, but it has shot groups as small as 2" at 100 yards with 3-4" being the norm using Wolf and Barnal ammo. It shoots as well or better than my Bushy Dissapator at that distance. If your worried about sight radius, a red dot sight will take that out of the equation and mounted on an Ultimak handguard mount, works very well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]

If your worried about sight radius, a red dot sight will take that out of the equation and mounted on an Ultimak handguard mount, works very well.

AK103K, I got the Kobra on now, but that won't last long. Because of brokeness issues, gonna return it to a buddy. I have been eyeing that ultimak gas tube rail, since I got an extra Eotech lying around. Might pick one of them up in the future. Have you had any heat from the gas tube issues with the red dot sight?  
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
flashlegs,
I have dot sights mounted on Ultimaks on two AK's and have had no trouble with heat and I've shot them to the "to hot to touch" point on a number of occasions. If you use a "tube" type sight with low rings or attached mounts, you can co witness your iron sights to the dot. I dont think the Eotech will let you do it as it sits to high. Some of the 30mm tubes are to high too, even with low rings. No biggie really if you have quick knock offs on them. I think once you try it mounted up front, you'll be hooked.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks AK103K. Anyone else have any thoughts on cutting the chrome barrel?
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I had my SAR-1 cut to 14" with a '74 brake. Mine was done by Gunplumber so I haven't had any problems with it. Accuracy-wise, I don't shoot past 100yds with it and I have a receiver-cover mounted rear sight so the short sight radius thing is a non-issue. I'm very happy with the accuracy for what I use it for.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Redbone, did Gunplumber say how they cut the barrel? How many rounds have you put through it since the job?
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
CAMPYBOB, how many rounds have you put through yours after the cut? I'll surely recrown if I cut.
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Redbone, did Gunplumber say how they cut the barrel? How many rounds have you put through it since the job?
flashlegs

No, I didn't ask. I've put about 600rds through it since it was cut.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Redbone. I think I'm gonna get some tools together and go ahead with the cut. Haven't had any replies about flakeing chrome. Hope mine won't be the first.
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but velocity loss is not as great a deal as some might think. In terms of accuracy many have said and proven that the difference betwwen a 20 inch barrel and a 16 is velocity not accuracy in the same caliber, I would think the same would be the same depending on the ammo used. It may depend what ammo and more speciffacaly the bullet design you are useing, take for example the FMJ wolf. This is a great bullet because it will yaw at any distance out of any barrel length, and it yaws at a 90 degree angle.  However depending on the requirement the M67 bullet (norinco etc.) may be prefered as it dose not yaw to such a degree and may be better for intermidiate barriers YMMV.  So The point being that you could turn this in to a Krink use Wolf FMJ and your going to do plenty of damage regardless of barrel length. The other designs may not do as much damage. The M67 only goes through two brief yaw cycles and regardless the Wolf will always do more damage because it relys on bullet design and not velocity (barrel length) to get the job done. Another thing about the Wolf FMJ is that the farther it travels the sooner it yaws. Again the point I'm trying to make is that you would see bigger results with the type of bullet as opposed to barel length, with the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 calibers and bellet designs.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top