Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 4:29:01 AM EDT
I ordered a ten-pack of Wiegers for my Norinco 86s and plan on having the Norincos mag well opened up a tad to use them...

However, I was wondering if I need to use another mag follower from Robinson Arms (is that the company that people get the followers from to fire 5.56 in bulgy 5.45 mags?)

Thanks all in advance..

Tim
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
NEGATIVE.

No work (from my experience) is required on the Weigers to load 5.56

I have four of them and they function 100 percent all of the time.

Now how they function in a Norinco .223/5.56 will have to be left to our more experienced CHICOM enthusiasts.

KF
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks KF..

Hey Campy. I know you have some good info here too..what say you?

Tim
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The Weiger mags are specifically for 5.56x45mm (.223 Rem).  You do not need to change the follower.  I use a modified Weiger in my K-101.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
good point on the feed ramp idea campy...

I need a starting point on that idea Campy. It sounds like a mod that smacks of "ya just have to do it!" ... The idea of the ability to use any 5.56 ak mag that can be stuffed into it is a neccessity if you ask me...

But... Why wouldnt the rifle have one allready? Or is it that the Norinco mags work with out it?

Now.. where do I find a feed ramp that would work in this rifle? Bulgarian parts? How hard is this mod to do by a compitant 'smith?

thanks guys,
Tim
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the polytech .223's were the ones without the feedramp?   I have an 84-s and I'm pretty sure it has one, but admit I don't shoot it that much.  I can check when I get home...

Rocko
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me know rocko..

The rifle I bought is in transit to me so I cant look at it..

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like I was mistaken - no ramp on the 84-s.    IMHO, I'd just try to wait around for some Norinco mags to pop up.   While they can be somewhat hard to find, they're usually not more than $25-30 for the 30 rounders when they do.   I've gotten a bulgy .223 mag to work after a bit of filing to fit the mag well, and it has worked 100% so far, but I haven't really put enough through it to say that for certain.  They're just as much as original norinco's now anyway.  

Given the relatively low price difference between the weiger and original mags, I'd be a bit hesitant to start hacking at the receiver for a conversion that may not work 100%.   At the very least, start by modifying the least expensive part - the magazine.  While there may not be enough material there to take off enough to match a norinco mag, there is of course some room for clearance.  You can probably take enough off the weiger to get a tight fit in an unmodified mag well.

Rocko
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
time to start a new thread...

DO they work in a Norinco 84s
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top