Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 4:45:30 PM EDT
I went to a gun show last weekend looking for a SAR-1 no luck, but I found a guy with a WASR-10 for $300 and he only had one left. What is the difference between the two and is $300 a good deal. I am very new to AK's and I don't want to lose this deal if it's a good one, but I dont want to get something that is subpar to a SAR-1 thanks for your help...I posted this in the Romanian forum with no answers yet and I am afraid I will lose this AK.. Thanks again..
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
good question.. i was curious to see what all the differences are too.  Right now i know that WASR10 only carries single stack mags which should only be around 200 dollars.. but if that guy was selling a WASR10 for 300 dollars, then it must've been one that accepts high capacity mags.. unless he's selling a single stack one way overpriced.. but the double stack WASR10's are only around $280.. and the SAR1's are always around 300 dollars or more.. are the double stack WASR10's and SAR1's the same mostly?  i'm thinkin' the double stack WASR10 costs less than the SAR1 because of that ugly buttstock it has?  correct me if i'm wrong on this.. but yeah what is the real big difference?  SAR1 have more accuracy or somethin'?  oh yeah, i heard the WASR10's mags are wobbly..
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
WASR-10's started life as a single stack, some of the magwells are machined out to accept hi caps. Depending on who did the conversion, it can be hit or miss. But generally, they are pretty decently done. It also lacks the magwell dimples and instead has metal welded to the inside of the receiver. All in all WASR-10 hicaps are nice rifles, they function the same as an SAR-1.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not a bad price for a WASR hi-cap.  

While they may only be "worth" about $280, we have to remember that you can find many a SAR going for $399.

Internet prices usually aren't matched by gunshows/gunshops very often, in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
 Thanks very much Guys you helped alot. It is a hi-cap but I didn't know to look closely at the mag well.. Thanks again I will let you know if I get it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WASR-10's started life as a single stack, some of the magwells are machined out to accept hi caps. Depending on who did the conversion, it can be hit or miss. But generally, they are pretty decently done. It also lacks the magwell dimples and instead has metal welded to the inside of the receiver. All in all WASR-10 hicaps are nice rifles, they function the same as an SAR-1.

ditto, may not have metal inside so check fit a mag for the degree of wobble, a bit loose is normal but floppy is not
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a WASR-10 hi-cap. Nice gun, leaves a bit to be desired in the accurecy dept. Some days it will shoot a consistant 3moa and others I'll be lucky to get 6-8 inches. My mags have a bit of wiggle room but not much. All in all I like it and as a down and dirty under 100 yard gun it's great, but it's not worth much past 100 yards IMO. If i had the money available now to get another AK i'd go with the SAR-1 or something else. But I would only do that in the hopes that whatever the new one would be, would be a little more consistant in the accurecy dept. It is a great go out and have fun blasting gun though.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top