Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2003 8:40:00 PM EDT
I want to send off my SAR-1 to get some work done and I want to know which is the best way to go about it.  I figure a few of you guys have had your guns shipped and would like to know how you went about it.

I was advised to get a hard plastic case to ship it in, but I am confused as to how one would "lock" it to keep the shipping guys from getting nosey.  The case I have has 4 little clasp locks on one side and that does not seem secure enough.

Should I wrap a lock around it and send the key to its destination or what?  I am running out of ideas...  [:\]

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Wrap a TON of packing tape around it.  Anyone who wants to take a peek will have to work for their peek.  

The person who receives it might not like you for it, but hey...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
honestly, i stay away from shipping guns somewhere.  there is a chance it get lost in the mail.  ups people leave shit on the door and just fucking jet.  you may not have a gun left.  they come during the day, who will be home to pick it up.

with all the bs lawsuits out there, someone can sue you if a criminial hurt someone with your gun.

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate shipping firearms.  I've seen how these jackoffs handle the packages.  I've seen UPS/FEDEX/DHL all throw boxes off the truck, kick em around, there is no TLC.  

What kind of work do you want done to your SAR1?  Maybe you can do it at home and someone here may be able to guide you through the steps.

Shipping sux!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it is looking like I will have to send it off no matter what.  So I am just trying to get some opinions on how to ship it, not whether I should ship it.  

Aside from AJjer's idea, any one else have some others?  I know someone here has shipped a gun before.  If you have any ideas to share, please post them.  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you use a lot of padding or Bubble-wrap.  Popcorn is okay, and also don't forget to INSURE it for $1000.00 in case they lose it.

Sometimes they poke a hole into the box to peek in and see what'cha got.  I'd ship it in a wood crate and nail it shut in my opinion.

Insurance should be no more than $20.00.

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Use the fastest overnight service possible. Make sure whatever company you use has a tracking system in place. It may cost more but it's the only way to keep it from getting stolen.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask your dealer If you can have a shipping carton that any rifles they recieved came in...then pack it up in that box with lotsa fo foam and such, or look for one the hard case fits in, this is what I do...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
let's us know if you loose it or not.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a hard plastic case, then wrap folded cardboard boxes around case and packing tape the cardboard in place, do it till the case is completely enclosed top to bottom. Great protection and real hard to poke a hole in.
                  OJF
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are worried about security, just send it registered mail.  You have to use the brown paper tape, then they stamp it so you can tell if the tape has been tampered with.  It also travels under lock and key to it's destination.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you mean "registered mail"?  You mean like 1st class Priority Mail through the USPS?  or UPS?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I think registered is priority, not sure, but it is USPS.  Just tell them you want to send it registered mail and they can tell you what is involved.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top