Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 5:36:30 PM EDT
Any and all info/advice would be helpful. I have been to the centerfire site and looked at the SAR 1 but still do not know what to get and what are the benefits of having an AK47 vs an AR15. Is the ammo readily available, are they realible weapons, what kinds of customizations can you do to them, can they be used for hunting deer and the like, etc...Like the subject says "AK Newbie"
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They aren't just reliable, they about the single most reliable modern military weapon in existance.   Ammo is cheap and readily available.  If you get a 7.62x39 AK you can hunt deer with it.  

If you want to go inexpensive, a SAR1 will do anything a high-end AK will do except look as good.  If you are in a AR15 vs. AK47 mode, then you could spend a bit more (still less then for an AR) and get an SA-M7 and have the best off the shelf post-ban AK around.  

Customizing an AK goes basically like this:

A stamped receiver AK (SAR1 is one) will take pretty much any stock part/accesory made for a stamped receiver.  

A milled receiver AK.... you get the point.  

Here's a good site to get an idea of the diversity of AK parts around.  And to buy them from.

www.k-varcorp.com/

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Good choice on going AK,

Yes they are reliable, in fact that's what made this weapon famous..search for the U-47 story on this forum.

It's a fun to shoot rifle and if you add some kind of optical sight to it it can be accurate. With a reddot sight I have been seen shooting groups with my hungarian at least as tight as any AR15.

Easy to maintain, fun to shoot.....did I mention AK's are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both a Sar1 & a Rock River AR.
I find the Sar1 to be more fun to shoot and accesorize than the AR. Something else to consider is that magazines ammo & accesories are much cheaper than the AR.

For instance:

30rd Magazines:
Average GI contract 30rd AR mag runs $20 to $30 each.

AK = $6 to $8 for a 30rd mag.
Check out Aim for an easy comparison
www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifle_Magazines.html

Drums:
AR 75-100rd drum mags, next to impossible to find for under $150.

Ak drums 75rds+, very easy to find for $60 to $100.

Ammo:
7.62x39 500rds Silver Bear FMJ $43
.223 500rds Silver Bear FMJ $60

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifle_Ammunition.html

Stocks for the AK are really easy to switch out all you really need is a screw driver. AR, well you need a special stock tool to start.

Don't get me wrong I do like my AR but I could have 2 AK's + mags for the price of one AR.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My only beef with the AK is the ammo is so darn heavy.  A 1000 rounds of 7.62 will nearly give you a hernia!  But they are really fun to shoot.  Have a blast!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top