Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 6:16:32 PM EDT
Ok, I found a Yugo preban RPK for $1500 NIB or I can get an Arsenal milled RPK NIB for approx, $900-950 shipped.

The Yugo is a sweet rifle as is the Arsenal.  Which do you think will shoot better?  The Yugo is probably closer to a 'real' RPK as it has a stamped receiver.  Of course it would need a real RPK stock, but these arent too tough to find.  The Arsenal looks great but it has a milled receiver - probably not 'right' for the close as you can get without a C3 licence look.  But if its made as well as either of the Sam 7's I have, I know I'll be happy with it from an accuracy point.  Its also $500 cheaper and that's a lot of bullets.

So...Give me your thoughts, opinions or just type something funny - I can always use a good laugh.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You're kidding right?  Yugo all the way baby.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
So you're saying Yugo's make fine guns, but crappy cars?

BTW, Do you know how to make a Yugo (car) go faster?

You hook it to a tow truck.

What's the difference between Yugo's and Jehova Witness's?

You can shut the door on the Jehova Witness's.

hmmmm....I used to know lots more.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Either would be good.
I believe the Yugo uses the correct type heavier stamped RPK receiver, while the Arsenal Inc gun will have a forged and milled receiver which is correct also, because that is the way the Bulgarians did it on their RPK's. If I'm not mistaken, it was only the Chinese and Bulgarians that made milled receivered versions of RPK's.

Both are good investments as well, few of both were offered. I believe something like 200 or so of the Arsenal Inc RPK's were made, and the price you can get it at, seems very good indeed. Sell your car and get both ;)
I mean really, transportaion is much too hyped (IMO):)

Good luck with your decision :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I was under the impression that only a stamped receiver was "correct" for an RPK.  Anyone care to set me straight?

After thinking more on the Yugo, I recall that I had one of the .308 RPKish versions several years ago.  It looked cool and functioned fine, however it was a 4-5 moa rifle.  I sold it after being disapointed with the accuracy and the high price and lack of available hi cap mags.

But it looks like an RPK is supposed too (mostly).
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The Russians put the RPK in service using the heavier stamped receiver, and if that is the look you want, then the Yugo uses that idea. But no, not all RPK's from all countries using Kalashnikov designs, went with the heavier stamped design. The Bulgarians and Chinese both built their own variants of the RPK on milled receivers. If there were no "real" RPK variants in the world with a milled receiver, then I would say it would not be correct, but when you see it on an Arsenal Inc RPK, which they base on Bulgarian weapons, then it is "correct" for that particular version.
Just like the milled receiver is "correct" for their SA M-7 rifles, which is also based on a modern Bulgarian design that uses this type of receiver.

The Yugo stamped receiver is the proper and "correct" method for the Yugo RPK that it is based on. And of course, closer to the Russian method of building RPK's.

So the answer is yes, the Arsenal Inc RPK is based on a "real" RPK variant. As one would have expected the Arsenal Inc Company to do, they based it on a "real" Bulgarian design.

Thats one of the neat things about the AK-47, AKM, RPK, AK-74, etc, they may have originated in Russia, but the designs did not stand idle, instead there were variations of the originals througout the Communist Block and China.

A good example of this is the Russian SKS. While most countries pretty much stayed with the original pattern, the Yugoslavians decided to add a grenade launching capability and night sights to one of their variations. They even made theirs to not have a chrome lined bore and chamber.

Now, do I think that it's not a "real" or "proper" SKS because of the deviations?......No, I actually find it more interesting than the original Russian SKS design......and everyone knows that it's still a real variation of the SKS. I have one, and love it :)

By the way, do the Yugo RPK's have a chrome lined barrel? I never bothered to check to see if they did. I just took it for granted, and guessed it would be chrome lined. Since their SKS' do not, one never knows :)

I think you won't regret either variation, but for the money, I would go with the Arsenal Inc gun, and then buy a standard SA M7 rifle with the money I saved (since the Arsenal Inc gun will cost you hundreds less) :)

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I am very familiar with the concept of variation.  I have only seen one picture of a milled reciever RPK - a Vietnamese rifle in Ezell's book which is described as an depot level rifle and not a  distinctly produced national variant.  I realize that different countries put their own spin/stamp/twist on their country's specific weapons, SSR-99's SKS illustration being an excellent example, however, Arsenal USA is not a country.  While Arsenal makes a great AK type rifle (I own 2 sam7's), I am looking for authenticity in the sense of, "this is the semi-auto version of counrty X's FA RPK."

So if someone can point me to a picture of a milled reciever RPK in the hand of some army, I will consider myself informed that country X makes and fields an milled RPK.  IF not, the arsenal RPK will remain and excellent rifle made in the US for commerical sales.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You wrote:
" Arsenal USA is not a country "

Arsenal USA is a division of Global Trades, and is in no way connected with Arsenal Inc of Las Vegas Nevada or the Arsenal Company of Bulgaria.

With that being said, The Arsenal Inc company is licensed by the Arsenal of Bulgaria Company, and thus far has based it's Kalashnikovs on guns that are, or have been, produced by Arsenal of Bulgaria. I will try to find you photos or info on the Bulgarian milled variant of the RPK.
I know I read it, or seen it somewhere, but now it's a matter of finding it for you.

I will try my best buddy to find the info, if or when I do find some info, I will post it up for you :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Here a Arsenal of Bulgaria FA RPK.  IF the Bulgarian arny used them, I don't know.  But, like you I like the more Authentic Russian looking rifles.

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Now youre teasing me with the red X.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I was just over at the Arsenal of Bulgaria website, and they actually still offer their 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 RPK's as milled receivered guns. It is not only that they used to do it this way, but that they still do!

Here is one of the photos they have of one of their RPK's (this one in the 5.56 caliber):

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
This is not something new, this is the way the Bulgarians made them, and apparently still do.

The Arsenal Inc of Nevada's RPK is almost a dead ringer to what these Arsenal of Bulgaria RPK's look like :)

So again, yes, there really are countries that produced the RPK as a milled receiver variant :P

As far as authentic appearance, while the Yugo specimen may look pretty authentic as a Yugoslavian RPK, and may look more like a Russian gun than the Arsenal Inc product, the Arsenal Inc specimen sure looks about as authentic as one can get, but to the milled Bulgarian RPK, not somebody elses :)
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
That's what I wanted to know SSR-99, thanks.

Campy,  

"obsolete technology on an overweight rifle? while nice looking, it makes no sense to me."

Yeah and so what - I'm not selling my Browning Highpowers or any of my mausers.  Hell, how old s the AK design itself (retorical question).  Milled is cool.  It shows/takes a more skilled worker (or CNC machine) to produce.  While I like the milled look better, I cant argue about the added weight.

The yugo is a great looking rifle, but I'm still stuck by both the extra  $$ and the the .308 one I had was a POS when it came to accuracy.  $1500 is a bit much to spend on something that wont shoot any better than a $325 -350 SAR.  I would pay double the SAR price for the coolness factor, but not almost 5 times as much.  Have fired several and owning 2 of Arsenal'd rifles I really dont think that accuracy or quality will be an issue - at least they havent disapointed me yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Captured by Belgians in Kosovo

http://paracdo2.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/129.jpg
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#16]
http://paracdo2.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/130.jpg
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Innocent, that's a nice milled receiver variant. Hope you don't mind that I posted that photo here? Thanks buddy :)

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top