Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 5:19:52 PM EDT
Put a call into Ohio Rapid Fire today looking for a couple of .223 AK's. Spoke with Tina, and in a 3 way conversation with someone off the phone, indicated the only .223, barring Krinks, that they'd have available would have been SAR-3's - obviously NLA. Nothing else. Odd as they list their shop built AK's in .223, which was what I was interested in and the reason I was on my way up. Too bad as I was near Dayton on business.

Besides Krebs, and other custom builders, cant think of anything else available new. But I thought I'd ask here before I called Krebs about a KTR-03. Imagine he'll have a bit of lead time. Any other ideas? Got a mess of Bulgy waffles I'd want to stick with (so no SAR-3), but otherwise I've no inate bias.

Thanks for the input
Alac

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Arsenal will be releasing their SAM-5 5.56 rifles very soon.  
They should be shipping them by the end of the month, so I would hold out for just a little longer.  

Arsenal builds one of the best production built rifles IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing that comes to mind is perhaps contacting some of the AK 'smiths and seeing if they're doing any 84s/Krink conversions. Every now and again, folks will sell of the 84s parts to cover some of the cost of the build. (Look at it this way, the only reason they bought the 84s was so their Krink could have pre-ban features, good chance they don't want to invest in a post-ban .223 build)

I've got an 84s set I've been meaning to get to the guys at ORF, it's just been a tough season for me between the rain, the rain and the rain... Well, that and the thieves that got into my truck and stole my tools. [rant mode from hell] Damn crackhead/tweeker types, wouldn't steal a tool to work with, just damn dope money at the pawn shop![/rant mode from hell off]. Yes Campy, the bastages got my beloved new Stihl as well and I ended up about $50 from an insurance claim! It was almost enough to make a person 'fudge' the paperwork, I just couldn't do it....

Anyway, back to the point, the 84s is a dandy 5.56 AK and unlike the standard post-ban Norinco, you would have the cleaning rod retainers still attached under the gas block and fsb. If you find parts the price should be reasonable, I've seen 3 sets sell for less than $150.

K-var still has Bulgarian stamped 5.56 kits complete minus receiver for $430, something else to consider.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I've got your answer!  

How about an AK-101 from AK-USA?  

www.ak-103.com/

For some reason I'm not seeing there rifle section at the moment, but I know they make the "AK-101" in .223.  

I'm sure someone on these boards has one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think I've got your answer!  

I'm sure someone on these boards has one.

I'd certainly like to try one, their full-auto demo video is very impressive! Odd that you mention those, I don't believe I've read a customer review on any of the boards. From the vid, the feed issue concerning AK74 mags and the .223 seems to be a moot point. My best so far has been 26 rounds with 100% success. (starting with 30 rounds in the mag, -using Norincos- is not the way to go, I've had my best results going 5, 10, 15, 20 and then one by one. I'd all but guarantee the bake's to function as 20 rounders, actually 23 rounds is almost something you can guarantee. Beyond that would require at least a small mod to be 'right'. One of these days I'll try the epoxy build up or Robarms followers..)

Of course, in Alacrity's case the Bulgie waffles would negate the feed issue so far as angle goes. Should be 100% , especially with the K-var AK74M1A1 kit. (Wish I'd have bought one when they first offered, complete with Soviet AK100 series style Bulgarian smooth side mag, yeah the waffles are cool but...)

So, who has one of these AK-101's from AK-USA?????
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
We can do a custom build for full size .223. They are kind of expensive, though. $429.00 for the kit alone. Sounds like you called while I was out at the range test firing. Tina usually gives me all the AK question. We can build you one. We have a bunch of different options available. Call and talk to me, if you are interested. Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell Mike, that's what I asked her. I'll give you a call. I should have swung by anyway. Not so expensive when you figure I have all the .223 infrastructure, including mags, in place.

Wes never thought about someone parting out an 84s. Good thought - but opportunity dependent. I will check around though thanks.

Didnt realize the Arsenal SAM-5 was on the way. Food for thought. KTR's a nice rifle but 9 pounds makes me cringe.

Thanks y'all. Being an Ohio "resident" I should get to one of these shoots. Why in the hell is everyone on this board a buckeye?

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I like ORF alot...they actually have my HK (waiting for PTR barrels to come in for months now!).  That said, look at the VeprII.  IMHO, the nicest .223 AK on the market, and a super value.  I prefer the 20", but they're available in 16" too...my favorite rifle.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
 Alacrity,

I was there when that phone call took place, and some wires got crossed . Counter girls fault, not yours at all.

She was asking what 223 AKs we had in stock ready to go, she didn't convey that you were looking into a build. She asked something like"what do we have for 223 AKs?"

If she would have made it clear that you were looking into a build, things would have been handled differently. You really need to talk to Mike. Bypass the counter girl, and ask for Mike or Todd by name then state your wishes. Things should be smoother that way.

Chuck
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
300:

No worries. Communication is a two way street. I indicated I was on my way up so natural to assume I was looking for something immediately, which was my preference, but not a requirement. In any event Tina was polite and helpful, as she was tonight when I called before my flight - missed Mike again; I'd not fault her. Try again when I get back.

Think my second post should have read: Hell Mike thats what I asked her ;) no pissiness was intended, was chuckling when I wrote it. I just KNEW I should have blown off the afternoon and gotten up there regardless. Oh well, next time.

Tec - Vepr/KTR are nice. But they are heavy as hell and oddly balanced to my hand. Hate the stock too. KTR has a nice sight setup - I like the radius and the rail - but not so keen its attached to a removable top cover. Thems the breaks though - everythings a trade off.

Boards a great resource, appeciate the repsonses.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
 Alacrity,

I did not intend for you to think that I got even the slightest impression of pissiness from you.( I think that pissiness is a word?)

Tina does a great job of trying to help people with their questions, and getting answers, but she still does not have a firm grasp of the concept that people dealing with custom or purpose built firearms want a more personal level of service than a three way convo that might entail the sum of anywhere from 500 to 1000 dollars. Some people are happy with that level of service, some demand more.

That said, she handles everything out front like a champ and is pretty much indispensible at handling the retail storefront. She doesn't bitch(well not all the time anyways)and she is really getting knowledgeable about firearms.My suggestion to bypass her was simply a way for you to get directly in touch with the craftsman who will be responsible for bringing your fantasy AK to life!!

I think that she cant grasp someone calling up and wanting to spend several car payments on a clone of a Soviet 74 with this part and that part and everything just so. But then again when it comes to shopping for new shoes or teddy bears and the like she is all up on it!! GO FIGURE..........

Next time that you get the chance, come on up and get the super secret research and development area tour.

Chuck
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
300:

Ill take you up on the tour next go 'round, and sooner or later Ill get in touch with you or Mike. Out of the area for a bit, so it may be a few. Appreciate the offer.

Luck
Alac

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top