Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 9:58:44 AM EDT
Hi!

I just received a SA M-7S today (US made AK-47 clone).  Although I have had years of experience with AR-15 type rifles, this is the first time that I've owned an AK.

One thing that surprised me a bit is the rear sight.  I knew that it was a flip-up type sight that you could adjust for elevation by moving the slide up or down.  What surprised me was that the sight does not flip up to be perpendicular to the barrel, rather it seems to want to travel forward past 90 degrees and stops at about 120 degrees or so.

Is this normal?

This is a new-in-the-box rifle that was supposedly zeroed at the factory.  I suspect everything is OK, but I haven't run it out to the range yet, and wanted to check with somebody in the know before I missed the target entirely if the sight is FUBAR.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, this is normal. Leave the sight folded down and in contact with the ramp. Folding it up like that is for removal and installation, not for sighting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that's normal. It's designed that way for removal.

Welcome to the world of AK's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys!

I have spent all of 5 minutes with it at the dealer, so I really didn't have much of a chance to do anything with it  (I don't like the idea of sighting a rifle in a packed gun store, even if I do know it's not loaded).

What you say makes perfect sense to me now, and I might have figured it out had I actually gotten to the range with it.  On the other hand, you may have saved me shooting about ten feet high!

I'm not totally embarrassed, but close to it.  However, I'm still glad that I asked before I did something stupid.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Order a Kobra from freedomoptics.com and slap it on the side. You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Order a Kobra from freedomoptics.com and slap it on the side. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the tip.  I was thinking of something along the idea of the PO 3.5x21P AK Riflescope, myself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.

Enjoy your new rifle.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top