Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 4:49:24 AM EDT
I am going to the gunshow this weekend to look for my first AK. Want to spend in the $300 range and looking for a good, dependable shooter.  Looks not that important. Planning on a SAR-1. Is there anything I need to look for when shopping?  I heard something about canted sights. Is there anything else you guys could warn me about before I go?  Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
SAR QC keeps improving but look it over for a side rail mount that is parallel to the receiver/bbl (not 1/8-1/4" lower in front as a few I have seen), front sights/gas block straight. Once you narrow down the herd, give the finalists a dry fire (confirm empty gun of course, it does happen some times..). Century puts cheap US parts count trigger sets in, they all vary some in feel from fairly good to really nasty.
Straight, decent action/finish, under $350 should make you happy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I found more than a few SAR-1's at the Gun Show here on Sunday that were very nice.  The finish was better than my 2002 model is.  They ranged from $339-369.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. The SAR-1's were going for $275-299 at our last show which was 6 months ago. Have they gone up that much?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Mainly regional pricing. My Clearwater friend bitches heavily when I tell him about what I find at NE Ohio shows, esp ammo.
SARs tend to be 335-350 out the door here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a SAR?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a SAR?

A Romanian (spelling?) Ak. It means semi automatic rifle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Try to find the laminated stocked ones, better quality....

FYI...

LIST OF PARTS FOR YOUR POSTBAN
THAT QUALIFY AS USA MADE

§ 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term "imported parts" are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Well guys, I got my AK today. SAR-1 with regular (not laminated) stocks. $299 with a 40 round and 5 round clip and all the cleaning attachments. Everything is straight and it seems to have a good trigger.  After several hundred rounds today, I didn't notice any trigger slap. Bought 1000 rounds of that Barnaul ammo everyone is talking about for $74 and picked up a few extra clips. Everyone of the laminated stock models I looked at had the canted sights or gas blocks. Some you could see without even picking them up. You could tell the vendors knew people were noticing, they were lumping in extra clips, hardcases and ammo to try and sell them. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted: A 40 round and 5 round clips. lumping in extra clips,.

Please don't say Clip. Its a mag. Not a Clip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well guys, I got my AK today. SAR-1 with regular (not laminated) stocks. $299 with a 40 round and 5 round clip and all the cleaning attachments. Everything is straight and it seems to have a good trigger.  After several hundred rounds today, I didn't notice any trigger slap. Bought 1000 rounds of that Barnaul ammo everyone is talking about for $74 and picked up a few extra clips. Everyone of the laminated stock models I looked at had the canted sights or gas blocks. Some you could see without even picking them up. You could tell the vendors knew people were noticing, they were lumping in extra clips, hardcases and ammo to try and sell them. Thanks again for the info.

Where did you pick up the Ammo? Was that $74 delivered? Let me know as I would like to purchase some as well...

I just received an SAR-1 with canted sights. Nothing a brass hammer can't handle. We'll find out....
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
SARs at the Middletown show were the non-laminate variety, very nice looking... most $319.  One guy had some that were $299 and they had wood that looked unfinished, no varnish at all.  Thought they sure would be nice for custom staining or even a linseed oil treatment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok Ark, when discussing terms, it often depends on what part of the country you are standing in as to whether you are right or wrong. In your neck of the woods, I am sure "mag" is the correct term. In mine however, we use "clip." Every "mag" dealer at the show Saturday had big signs up "High Capacity Clips for sale." But differing opinions are what this country is about. As long as you don't force your opinions on me!

Strange, as to the ammo, it was a gun show special. $74 plus tax for a total of $78.44.  123 grain FMJ. I am not sure what his regular price is. The dealer was Assault Technologies from Indian Trail, NC. (704)289-9900. Website address is www.AssaultTech.com.

The AK I purchased also had the plain unfinished wood. I can't decide if I am going to keep the blonde color and varnish it, or stain it the dark cherry red. Any opinions?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top