Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2003 6:29:59 PM EDT
Does anyone have any idea of the value of a preban Norinco AK?  Plan Jane model, nothing fancy but in like new condition.

Is spending the money on a pre-ban worth it?  Are pre-ban AKs more collectors than shooters?

Thanks much.

Scot
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the Chicom guns, they influenced my opinion of assault-style firearms more than any other. Colt AR's, Benelli's, LAW12's...all fun and such but for the money Chinese products were a good deal. Now though?

For the money, if you simply want a kick-ass version AK...you could probably pick 2 others to enjoy for what you'll spend for a pre-ban Chicom. I think MM's advice regarding a "wallhanger" certainly applies...

Is a bayonet worth it?

The ability to swap muzzle brakes/flash hiders?

(that's all "pre-ban" amounts to. Well, that and the pistol grip set-up, easy enough to add US parts to a MAK90 for that though)

For me, the only pre-ban Chinese I really want that I don't have is a side-folder with a spike bayonet. Both features scream pre-ban Chicom. Underfolders came from just about everywhere, standard bayonets as well. The spike is uniquely Chinese and the Chinese side-folders were probably where the concept originated for other countries to consider... (EDIT: considering the Chinese made an attempt at something better than a piece of wire for their folders--at least they considered the concept of 'cheek-weld')

Regardless, I'd feel a bit ripped-off if the price went over $1000.I'd rather have something like a SAM-7 and an SAR2 for the dough.The angle of the buttstock on milled rifles such as the SAM-7 is (nearly) identical to that on the Chicoms (milled or stamped). and the SAR2 AK-74 clone is one of the best values in the firearms world when it comes to an AKM varient.

Absolute best value would have to be the SAR1, considering the price and cost of ammo and accessories.

For pre-ban money, an Arsenal rifle coupled with a Romanian import would be more bang for the buck than any pre-ban rifle. For a wall-hanger I'd go with a Yugo, and in most cases you could have 2 pre-ban Chicoms for what they go for...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree. The fullstock pre-bans are just not worth the money. Unless you buy it really cheap, for a project rifle, or if it's a folding model.

To further what Wes typed: These newer post-ban rifles retain the cleaning rod loops under the FSB and gas blocks that the original post-bans sanded flat underneath. Meaning it looks 99% like a pre-ban, minus the little ears on the bay lug and US internals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice.  I already have an SLR95 with a US parts kit & Ace stock that is an awesome shooter.  I replaced the front sight base with one that has the catch for the cleaning rod.  The gas block does not have the loop but the cleaning rod is held in well and looks very good.

The Norinco preban I'm looking at belongs to a lady at work whose husband died.  He had the AK valued at $1000 (for insurance purposes).  She is having no luck selling it so I think I could get it pretty cheap... $500, I would guess.

While I am not positive (no one is, on these matters), I think there are other restrictions on importation other than the 94 awb.  So, this might be a good chance to get a completely original AK, not one supplemented with US parts.  Sound like good logic?

Scot
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
For $500 or slightly more it's a deal you'll probably never get again! I'd be all over that rifle! Yeah, prior to the '94 Crime Bill (Klinton Ban), he banned the importation of Chinese firearms and parts.Considering Bush II just imposed yet another ban on Chinese stuff it's highly unlikely we'll ever see any more chicom rifles coming into the U.S..

So yes, considering the fantastic price and fact that it is a pre-ban and will accept muzzle attachments and the bayonet, good logic!

Good luck, hope you get it before someone else snags it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Going to try to shaft a widow?  Niiicccceeeeee!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I resemble that remark! (I've 'shafted' a widow or ten...)

just a perversion...nevermind....

EDIT: They call 'em MILF's now...Not too terribly original, but like I was always taught..."Experience counts". I took it literally.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top