Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2003 7:56:39 AM EDT
Hello,

I am new to the AK scene having spent the majority of my time over in the AR part of the world.
I notice that there are many different countries of origin for AK's and I was wondering which to avoid?
Back before I went to Canada a few years ago, I had an Russian SKS which was much sturdier than the Chinese version and wondered if AK's have the same issues.

I might be getting a great deal on one next week from a very motivated seller in the sticks.

thanks,

gilfrd
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
There are no bad AKs, they all work.  Some may be prettier than others but presuming they are not broken, they all usually work fine.  The ARsenal Inc. SAM7 is probably the nicest of the current production, with the Romanian SAR series being the chevy of the crowd.  I prefer the stamped receiver versions as they weigh two pounds less and are every bit as strong.  There are used chinese on the market and they are just fine, but the parts do not necessarily interchange with Euro pattern. Many choices but you will not go wrong with any.The lower end should cost you about $350 new, with the higher end going over $600.  Don't bother with preban unless you are a pure collector.  There is no shooting advantage in preban AKs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Shotar is on target. While I prefer the milled receivers due to the extra weigh, it makes no differece in function.

About all I would add is to stay away from anything made by Hesse.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I beg to differ on a few points-most of the Civilian AK's I work on are Egyptian some of the civilian production have feed problems and ding up the brass on the loading cycle. Some of the Chinese suffer from that prob too but not near as often. In some parts of the world the Egyptian is the least desirable then certain Chinese models. Though the Chinese (Polytech)military AK's smoke 'em out and keep going I think they may be more reliable than the Russian ones IMHO
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Sheeesh Campy, aren't you being a little tough there?  Bulgarian AKs are just "good?"  Damn, I always thought the SLR-95 and SA-93 were exceptionally well made firearms.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I actually have a hesse built ak-74 copy and it really works fine. Very accuarate and no problems except that some magazines need to be trimmed to fit right. If anybody has one, Global Trades sells German made 30 round bakelights that fit with no modifications at all. My only complaint is that 5.45x39 isn't carried by anyone around here and I either have to order it or get it at a gun show.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think ordering ammo is a proble, or getting it from a gunshow.  I find gunshops can rarely if ever touch the price that you can get elsewhere.  Case in point, my buddy and I just split an order of Lake City 223.  We were going to order from ammoman for $358 2,000 rounds shipped.  Ended up going through Sportsmansguide and getting it for $341 shipped.  Now locally I would be looking at around $400 plus take, or about $432..  Hmmmmm, what would you do?

I buy my 5.45 from Centerfire when it is on sale for $99.97 per 1,000 rounds shipped.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My local Kmart of all places has UMC .223 for $4.00 a box on clearance. And a website called ammunitionstore.com has 750 rounds of Barnaul 5.45 FMJ for $80.00 or 1000 rounds of Wolf FMJ for $100.00. I purchased 700 rounds of 7.62x39 Uly in a sealed can at a gunshow for $70.00, by far the best deal on ammo I have ever gotten.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
As for ammo, AIM has the best prices I've seen for Uly 700 rd in a can for $60, it's worth the 1.5 hour drive to get there too!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
of the post-ban clones, the russian, chinese, bulgarian and hungarian are of good quality. the romanian and egyptian clones are of lesser quality.

all will work just fine.

What about rifles built on Polish kits??
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
of the post-ban clones, the russian, chinese, bulgarian and hungarian are of good quality. the romanian and egyptian clones are of lesser quality.

all will work just fine.

Just make sure they press the barrel in pointing in the right direction...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Just make sure they press the barrel in pointing in the right direction...

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Maadi that was bent, looked like a fat chick sat on it. the whole thing was bent like a banana. with the front sight windage cranked all the way over, it would not hit paper at 100 yards.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top