Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 8:09:06 AM EDT
The magazine in question is actualy for a Glock... but I would think the legality issues would be the same as for AK mags... so this question would be of bennefit to anyone with a crap AK mag as well... and since you guys seem to know your stuff I figured I'd toss the question out here.

The question is this... I have a crappy USA mags steel hi-cap mag that is good for nothing more than holding down papers in a breeze... could I buy all new parts (body... follower... etc) and build a new magazine?

It's my understanding that you are legaly allowed to buy all new parts to build a replacment hi-cap magzaine as long as you are replacing a previously bought... legal hi-cap mag.

There's no stipulation that a certain number of the original parts must be retained.

Is this correct?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I see an ad in Shotgun News for replacement steel lined bodies for my Glock. I was wondering if I could order these and swap the guts from my mags into them and then cut my old mag bodies in half. Sounds legal to me. Opinions?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If you do replace a mag body, you should crush or, as Lumpy suggested, saw the mag body in half to retain proof that you indeed had a preban magazine.  I believe there is no stipulation on the number of parts that must be retained - just that you can't have enough parts lying around to assemble a new >10 round magazine.  As for AK mags, they're so cheap that it's not worth the hassle - just ditch the crappy USA mag or use it for display purposes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I see an ad in Shotgun News for replacement steel lined bodies for my Glock. I was wondering if I could order these and swap the guts from my mags into them and then cut my old mag bodies in half. Sounds legal to me. Opinions?

I believe it is legal, but the prevailing opinion is that the replacement Glock mag bodies aren't anywhere as good as factory mag bodies.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I believe it is legal, but the prevailing opinion is that the replacement Glock mag bodies aren't anywhere as good as factory mag bodies.

Indeed... but it would still be better than the less-than-useless USA mag that I currently have. At least a mag built from a Scherer body would be useable at the range.  :-)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget guys, it's a full cap mag. The new mags are restricted cap.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you do replace a mag body, you should crush or, as Lumpy suggested, saw the mag body in half to retain proof that you indeed had a preban magazine.  I believe there is no stipulation on the number of parts that must be retained - just that you can't have enough parts lying around to assemble a new >10 round magazine.  

Or you could sell it to Eddie Bryant and keep a copy of the receipt. ;)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, I'll take some "replacement" bakelite 7.62 AK mag bodies and trash some steel ones for them
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top