Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 9:47:17 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with them? Ive got an SLR-95 that id like to convert. Everyone here has given me lots of good info. Think Im gonna get my AK up to spec before dropping another 500 on a new one. Looks like these guys do the whole thing and supply you with a letter detailing the 922 parts. Thats a nice piece of mind for me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a SSR-56 from Global Trades.  Overall it was an okay experience.  I sent them about 4 emails with questions regarding status and tracking number for my order but never received a reply back from them.  Finally after two weeks I had to call to get the information but it turned out my rifle had already shipped and was scheduled to arrive on the day I called.  My rifle arrived new in box but had a few very minor handling marks on the receiver, barrel, and front handguard.  Nothing really that bad at all though.  I figure it's an AK and it's probably going to get a little roughed up anyways.  This is the first AK I've bought so far so I'll have to see what condition others arrive in the future.  If you do business with them you're going to have to call a few times and write a few emails, even though they didn't respond to mine, in order to make sure they are moving forward with what you asked.  Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey big thanks, Im thinking about getting my converted. Its hard to tell how much they want in order to do this. I check their site but the price page is not that clear whats included.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be speaking to one of them in person most likely on Saturday. Jimmy is always at the local gun show here. Nice guys and any "problems" I have heard about have been handled quickly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I drove by the shop on Saturday, but no one was there that could let me have a peek inside.  They seem to have a nice operation.  I am going to visit when I actually get ready to purchase one and watch them build it if they will let me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It is to my understanding that their current rifles are already pre-assembled.  I doubt they wait for an order before they build one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a little confused here. Why don't you just buy the parts and convert it yourself? Just nab a US-made stockset from K-var and a new FCG and you would be done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Im also thinking about gettting it refinished. It seems to be painted or something. Its the Hungarian model.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
ATLGA,

Do yourself a favor and look carefully at your fire control group.  You may alreay have the Gordon Tech Fire Control Group installed in the rifle.

A couple of years ago Gordon Tech got a hold of all of the SLR-95s that were being imported into the country and put their fire control group and their gas piston in the rifles.  Both me and my gunsmith bought our rifles approximately 6 months apart at different gun shops and both SLR-95s had the Gordon Tech parts installed in the rifles.

Most of the rifles that I have seen that have the Gordon Tech parts in them have the following etched into the left side toward the rear of the receiver:

Intrac Knox, TN
DAG VA BCH, VA  (this will have a line etched through it)
Made in Bulgaria

Look for "G2", "GTECH", and "USA" on the left side of the fire control parts.  You will have to get a good flashlight and look closely.  If your SLR-96 is one of the rifles that alreay has the Gordon Tech parts in it, the rifle has 4 parts that were made in the USA.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Right on!
 Im gonna check when I get off work today. I dont remember seeing that on the side of the rifle. That would save me 85 bucks.
 Joel
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They screwed up my rifle order two out of two times. They don't pay attention to details over there in their rifles, ordering process, or customer service department. Their rifles have too many cosmetic issues for the price you pay. They also can't get their front sights straight on the rifles i've seen. Jimmy is a OK guy but Ron the president is a real ass 90% of the time. Customer service sucks since they won't call you so you have to call to check on your order or start the service you requested. Also they won't go the extra mile to make you happy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top