Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 9:52:41 AM EDT
Looking for suggestions, im up on ARs but not as much on AKs. Im confused by the American parts foreign parts thing. Are there any good guns already put together?
 Joel
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I hear the Romanian SAR is one of the better deals out there.  I'm buying a laminated stock SAR-1 from www.aimsurplus.com

You should check out linx310.nothingbutguns.com.  It is a very informative site dedicated to Romanian AK's.  It helped me learn a lot of the basics about the AK.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Awsome, ive noticed some of them have Chrome lined barrels. Seems the russians are also providing lots of parts. Thanks for the info, anyone else have something to add?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Great links by the way.
 Joel
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Awsome, ive noticed some of them have Chrome lined barrels.

I like chrome lined barrels in AK's, AR-15's or AR-10's for shooting dirty, cruddy, out-of-spec (that's why it's mil-surp in the first place) Mil-Surp ammunition and many do shoot with excellent accuracy.
----------------------------------------------

I'm basically in the same position as you - new to AK's.  After picking these guys brain and reading many posts I went with an SAR-2 as my first 'shooter' AK.  Somewhere along the way I'm going to also get an SAR-1.

Edited to add:  I found my SAR-2 used, with scope and other accessories for $350 and that's well within your budget.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
some of the converted saiga's are under 5 bills and are usually pretty good quality.

for my money, the $300 romanian sar series are the way to go.

CAMPYBOB is absolutely right. Even the WASR 10 hicap is good. (but the SAR 1 is better).
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
ArsenalINC SA-M7 best AK around.  552$ shipped.

gunsnstuff.net

Why go with anything else.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
So you suggest the SAM7...its nice looking, does anyone here have good experience with one. Im looking for another good rifle to add to my small collection.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So you suggest the SAM7...its nice looking, does anyone here have good experience with one. Im looking for another good rifle to add to my small collection.

IMO, The SA-M7 is an excellent rifle.  But if you want a shooter, go with something stamped and cheaper, especially if you are going to use the cheap steel-jacket ammo ($79/cs-1000).
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]

But if you want a shooter, go with something stamped and cheaper, especially if you are going to use the cheap steel-jacket ammo ($79/cs-1000).

Just wondering why steel jacketed ammo has anything to do with whether the receiver is stamped or milled?  This makes no sense to me at all.  Please explain.  Also, what ammo are you talking about that is just steel jacketed?  All of the ammo I've seen at least has copper plating.  What type of AK do you have if I might ask and what type of ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ArsenalINC SA-M7 best AK around.  552$ shipped.

gunsnstuff.net

Why go with anything else.

Just got in my SAM-7 today.  While I haven't yet fired this rifle I'm much impressed with the feel, fit and finish.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes I too am wondering on why I shouldn't use regular steel jacketed ammo in my SAM-7? I bought a AK for cheap fun and ended up going with a SAM-7. I will take care of it but still want it to be a rugged gun that I can throw anything at.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
This SAM-7 sounds pretty nice. I would only be feeding it Wolf ammo. Im looking for another AK weapon that I can feed Russian stuff. Its so much cheaper than Q3131 in my AR. Anyone in Ga selling them?
Joel
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top