Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2003 11:54:37 PM EDT
I just picked up my PO scope from K-Var today with my Bulgy kit.

My question is that this scope is different than all the models I have seen before.

Instead of a semi-German post with range "line" everywhere, this has a reticle just like the PSO.  The reticle is not nearly as "heavy" and is much harder to see.

By that I mean it has only a horizontal line Eexample:  --------^--------- with range markers below starting with 8 going down in twos to 20.  In the bottom right there is the standard range finder with the standard 1,7m next to it.

Is this a new model of the scope than what I have seen in the past or something completely different?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It's an AK-74 reticle. It is ranged precisely for the AK-74M. I looked at one at a local gun store here in St. Louis for my SAR-2, and I did not like the reticle at all. The PSO-1 "V" reticle stands out better. However, your scope will be better suited for the rifle you have (as it would mine).

Now I wish my scoped SAR was as comfortable as my AR-15. I guess I can't have the best of both worlds. Perhaps getting rid of the 1.25" extended stock would help in this endeavor. I'll put on the old wood one to try it out. I noticed that it's slightly longer than the one on my AR-15 and more importantly MY 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
So that would make mine (and Ober's reason for buying his) a RPK reticle model? Or did they just change it a mess up a good thing?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So that would make mine (and Ober's reason for buying his)

Was it that obvious?  I really like the one you have better, my reticle looks like this.

--------^---------
                -
                -
                -
                -
                -
                 -

This is slightly simplified of course, but you get the idea.

Seams odd that three of us have different models.

RS39s is really somewhat nicer as the reticle is larger and bolder and easier to see + has a small cross hair at the top.

Next time we get together we will have to compare.

Edited to add that the numbers below the chevron are directly below the aiming point, and the range finder wold not come out here for some reason, but it is an obvious enough difference to see it is different.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Wave, yours looks more like the one RS39 has.

Sine mine goes out to 20, I am wondering if it is the RPK model. You would rarely if ever try a shot that far with a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine looks like Wave's.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
So there really is a RPK model! How about that. Who in the hell would use a 3.5x scope for anything beyond 300 meters though? I've never understood that about the Trijicon scope either. I guess if you're good you can reach out and touch stuff that far away. I don't think I could without a 20x scope.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn, I have no idea at this point.  Does anyone know Tantal well enough to ask him?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Fire him an e-mail. He'll help you regardless of who you are Obe. Just tell him it's a question on the board and give him the link. I actually asked him way back when this scope first came out. I don't know if he ever plans on carrying this scope yet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hm, I think I will just do that.

I'll report back here when I find out anything.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
so is mine an RPK model or not?

I would say ours are the standard AK-74 versions and the ones numbered to 20 are the RPK scopes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been talking with Tantal (nice guy BTW) about this, as well as and K-Var.  

It looks like I was sent the RPK model, and the other is the Ak-74 model.

In talking to K-Var, they were very confused and told me that they were told the scopes were the same despite comming in a different pouch. They said they never looked at them and never gave it a second thought.

I belive they were truely unaware that there was a difference and appologized a hundred times.

I am sending my scope back and they will replace it with the proper Ak style scope.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top