Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 9:31:52 PM EDT
Been mostly an M16 and HK guy but now I'm starting to get into AK's.  Got a MAK90 and thinking about getting a Krink SBR built, but I'm looking for something a bit better than a MAK90 in a full size rifle.  What are your opinions on the best postban AK: VEPR-II/K, SAM-7, a custom build (which parts?), some other type/manufacture I've completely overlooked?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Shaggy, I'm the AK guys new student and they have advised me to look at building/acquiring the AK-74.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
i say start with an sar-2 then custom it out like an ak-74.thats what i did and i love it.
also rpbusa has 30 round mags in like new condition for 5 bucks a peice . i just bought 20 of them for 110 dollars plus shiping.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
i'm sorry 110 dollars included the shiping on my 20 mags. took 4 days to get to my housw.
thanks
john
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Sar1, 2 or 3 are all good. The 74 kit is great if you are skilled to do the work. I think the Vepr is one of the best for quality. It is not an Authentic AK. More of a modernized bastard. Awesome fit and function. CB  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Been mostly an M16 and HK guy but now I'm starting to get into AK's.  Got a MAK90 and thinking about getting a Krink SBR built, but I'm looking for something a bit better than a MAK90 in a full size rifle.  What are your opinions on the best postban AK: VEPR-II/K, SAM-7, a custom build (which parts?), some other type/manufacture I've completely overlooked?

Well, the interesting thing here is that there really isn't a better post-ban rifle than your MAK-90.

You can get a better looking rifle; my SAM-7 has a better finish than my milled MAK-90. You can get a different one, like an AK-74, but you won't get a better one.

If it's a milled receiver MAK you just need to add 4 US parts to get rid of the thumbhole; a US furniture set is 3, US gas piston would be four, and you could keep the excellent chinese fire control parts. Get it refinished in your favorite coating and you'll have an AK that will compare with the best of them. A good smith can even add a US-made slant brake and fake pin that looks just like a preban.

If you aren't concerned about looking like a traditional AK, I really like my VEPR, but it really is a matter of personal taste.

I built my own AK-74 in the CampyClone tradition, and if I had it refinished I would put it up against anyone else's AK-74 clone. Quick handling, accurate, fun to shoot.

If you'll be in the area I could drag a bunch of AKs over to the range  (either CP or you could actually come outdoors to BCF&G) for you to play with.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go with Chris at AKUSA www.ak-103.com this guy does excellent work and offers great customer service. He can build you a AK74 kit or build you one of his AK103s.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I probably should have thrown this out earlier, but I'm only looking for a 7.62x39.  I've got several AR15/M16's and I think they are basically in the same ballistic ballpark as the AK74.  I've also got several .308's so I was looking to the AK's to fill that niche between a .308 and a 5.56.  If I get a Krink, it'll definitely be in 7.62x39, so I'm also thinking in terms of parts, mags, and ammo compatability.  Dumbass question of the day, but which one of the SAR-1,2,3 series is 7.62?  I'm assuming the SAR1?  Are they stamped or milled?

My MAK is stamped and I do like that gun, but I thought maybe a milled receiver would be better & more accurate.  Does the type of receiver make a difference in accuracy or is that just not true?  I know the MAKs have a good reputation, but I thought some of these newer models like the VEPR and SAM-7's might be better and more accurate shooters.  They're definitely better looking (I do like the looks of the VEPR) but I value function far more than form.  

David - I'd like to take you up on that offer to go to the range sometime.  I'll email you the next time I'm going to be in PA for the weekend.  The VEPR and SAM-7 caught my attention so it would be nice to see those up close.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
SAR-1 = 7.62 x 39 mm Russian

SAR-2 = 5.45 x 39 mm Russian

SAR-3 = 5.56 x 45 mm NATO

All have stamped receivers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Best AK?

Bulgarian, with milled receiver.

Now being made here in the U.S.A. !!

They're GORGEOUS!

CJ

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Vepr II in 7.62x51 is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

take care,
TEc
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Global SSR85B. It's a combination of a stamped FEG receiver and polish parts in 7.62.
This receiver and parts are considered by some to be the best available. It's a beautiful rifle and it shoots just as good as it looks.
A shameless picture.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I shoot a MAK90 as well as the SAM-7. My groups are about 1/2 the size with the SAM-7. Both were purchased brand new, both have about the same number of rounds through them, both using Wolf ammo.

At twice the price of the MAK, I'm not sure that it's twice the gun, but it's damn close. The SAM-7 has a nice trigger for a factory job.

The nice thing about this rifle is that it's a turn-key gun. You buy it, you shoot it, it's done. No remodeling. I've also got a SAR-2 that would be considered a fixer-upper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like my SLR-95.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a Global SSR85B. It's a combination of a stamped FEG receiver and polish parts in 7.62.
This receiver and parts are considered by some to be the best available. It's a beautiful rifle and it shoots just as good as it looks.
A shameless picture.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=4639

Spectre.........
Yes, that is a beaut.........
WHERE does one find these models??
I have found the Romanian model, with te American parts......fairly decent, and look good.....
What is this model??...the SAR 1??
I only can afford ONE, so which way do you reccommend...
Yours is beautiful!!!!!
Thanks'
newbie here.........
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top