Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2003 7:04:16 PM EDT
I took the Yugo underfolder to the show today to find a bayonet and make sure it fit. I got a lot of offers to buy and I told everyone I wasn't selling. The most common reply was, "I wouldn't sell it either". Anyway, I talked to a dealer who wanted to buy it and I asked him about the Mitchell Arms M-90s. He said that he wouldn't touch one of those because they were illegal if they didn't have the thumbhole stock attached. Is he misinformed or is he correct?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The M-90 is a transision gun. It hit the shores before the ban but got caught up and detained by customs. To make the powers that be happy Mitchel arms ground the bayo lug (not much), pinned the break (not very well), and installed the ugliest thumbhole stock I have ever seen (plastic) on them. Here is the "gray" area. Then customs released them to sell.(around 1992) According to most people you can reinstall the original stock and pistol grip if the plastic one "happens" wink wink to break. Which just happened to be included with most guns.

Mine did not have the original stock with it when purchased (still looking for it as a matter of fact) . So I made a neat thumbhole stock for it. (would post pics but can't figure out how)

If I have this wrong someone jump in here and help me.

Mark

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "transition" gun.  Until the gun is cleared by Customs and leaves the bonded wharehouse it is in, it's not legally in the US.  That's the whole point of storing them in a customs bonded wharehouse.  The date they "hit the shores" of the US was when they were released by customs.  If that date is after the ban (as evidenced by the neutering of evil features) then it's a post-ban.

Whether it's legal to put evil features back on I don't know.  I kinda doubt it, as I remember alot of talk about how it wasnt' legal to modify an import into a gun that was not importable, but who knows?  

The law wasn't really well written, nor understood.  It would be a simple enough matter to add some US parts now and not worry about it.  It sure wouldn't prevent me from buying one at the right price.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The M-90 Yugos are postbans.

If you are going to install the PG stock you need to correct the number of import parts just like any other 922r rifle.

Mike
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top