Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2002 8:23:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn it!  It must have worked on me early because I just bought a drill-press, some drill bits, and the big and little strap wrench at SEARS.  And this was AFTER spending money on XMAS.  I could have easily spent more, but I had to exercise extreme self control.

Ross
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Can We Fix It.....

Yes We Can!

Dang, can you tell I have tools, or just little kids.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Campy:

While what you assert in this post is most certainly true, I have found a way around this dillemma.  You see I try to surround myself with people who not only own tools, but know how to use them properly.  By feigning ignorance of the purpose of the tool and its proper use I can more often than not gain not only the use of the tool, but also the skill of the person wielding it.  You have been the victim of my insideous plot on more than one occaision and come through my treatchery unscathed, well except for that thumb several months ago.  You see the true evil of my method is much like the relationship between engineering and management.  That is to get the most productivity for the least cost while paying high compliments which cost nothing.  Bwahhahaha ( Simon lagree laugh ).

Either that or there are just simply some of us who should not have tools and the world is a better place because we leave them only to those who actually know how to use them.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi All,

I'm Shotar's wife.  I have never really looked into this sight much as I am hard at work with the children while the Mr. is leisurely browsing this sight.  When he mentioned his last posting that involved the tool usage and his treachery on mankind to manipulate another's skills and knowledge  I thought of myself, hard at work for him while he browses this board.  I say Bwahhahaha (Simon Lagree laugh) I have the checkbook! He is after all good for something.

Mrs. Shotar
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Campy Suh, you are a tool...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
TOOL!! I've got a tool. Not very big around but definately short!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't we already establish that city-folk don't need to have tools?   If some of us had our own tools, then some of us would be able to fix their own canted front sight blocks instead of making Campy do it!

But I see your point - that and the need to invest in QUALITY tools.  Took a trip out to the local Harbor Freight last week - that's probably the most concentrated amount of Chinese I saw, and will probably ever see, in Parma.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Speaking of tools...
Man...wait until you guys see my next project!

Colt(my son)his entry into the cub scouts pine wood derby! Let's just say that HBarski and I have spent many hours milling this piece.

Tools made it all possible....hehehhehe just wait until the day of the race!

Rot, I remember pine box derby... as I recall, COLT should have been doing most of the work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL, the kid is a fucking prodigy!

I'm calling some of the profs at RPI and WPI, this kid has a future in engineering!

What's next?  Get him a milling machine and let him design us some new toys for the range .
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
TOOLS, HUH!

I have tools. My tools Fix everything.  HELL I have tools that fix other tools!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, I am now off to the tool store.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
My father just gave me fifty pounds of old metal working tools that were passed down to him from his father. They're even made in USA they're so old!

Guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been receiving tool for birthday presents and Christmas as long as I can remember. I will never forget taking my sabersaw to show and tell in the foruth grade, I was so proud to have my first power tool. I now have more tools than most people, thanks to my Dad. He is one of those guys that doesn't borrow or rent and I thank him for bringing me up that way. We both buy tools that we don't need... yet. If you have the correct tool for the job you may have a job that needs the tool is my motto!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
<groan>

well, i see my arrow has went wide of the mark...again!!!

Look at the audience you are dealing with - geez, what do you expect from us?

engineer, actually, if you know 'which' of those chinese tools you can get away with using...harbor freight can save you a ton of money. i'm headed up to the one in akron tomorrow after work!

Hehe - Plateshooter's the one that turned me onto Harbor Freight, though I still haven't found the magnet-on-a-stick yet.  Well, I did pick up a set of 5 ball peen hammers for like 8 bucks.  Hopefully my people can't screw those things up too bad.  You know, I just about got me one of those calipers as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Didn't we already establish that city-folk don't need to have tools?

Apparently.  My nephew was fined for having a screw-driver in his pocket while attending a convention in NYC.  They've already decided people don't need tools, especially those with sharp edges.  So if tools are "enabling," the city of NY has decided that it wants the most "disabled" citizens.z
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Campy you got me man!  

I even have a new sandblaster in the box never opened and drill press from last Christmas. I got more tools than I have time to use.  I have two Dodge Chargers in various stages of restoration or re-restoration again ton include those hard to find custom built ball joint sockets! I can't walk in my garage for the tools. I buy screw drivers by the dozen and can never find one. I have four rechargeable drills that I never charge.  Everytime I grab my torch, the tank is empty. I have three large red tool cases that are full but I can never find what I need.  I keep a handy dandy tool box in each of my vehicles which is my fastest way to find what I want.  I have three air tanks, none full of air. My woodworking stuff is somewhere in my storage bin. My wife buys me autoparts for Christmas. I guess I'm tool poor.

Do I win?

By the way, any of you guys need a project, I got plenty to share!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#20]
You bastard.......You are the reason sears and craftsman got all that money from me!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I have what I would essentially consider a fully equipped workshop.  I have every tool that might have any application in the building of both electric and acoustic musical instruments...which is what  I do for a living.

You name it, I probably have it or something that'll do its job.

I love being me!

CJ

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Ditto!  Within the last 2 days, I bought a drill press at Sears, a 115 pc TiN bit set, some end mills, some tap handles, and a 6" 3/32 bit.  I'm finishing an 80% lower and don't want to screw it up.

Quoted:
Damn it!  It must have worked on me early because I just bought a drill-press, some drill bits, and the big and little strap wrench at SEARS.  And this was AFTER spending money on XMAS.  I could have easily spent more, but I had to exercise extreme self control.

Ross

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Now you got me going.  My first job was a bicycle mechanic.  Over the years I collected a full set of bicycle tools, stands etc.  (With the exception of a straitening fixture and the multi thousand Campy signature tool set.)

Next, I was an Aircraft mechanic.  I still have my airframe tools.  I also own a complete Sherline machine center but aspire to a Bridgeport.  I also have most of the major 1911 tools and a few AR-15 tools.  I also have the obligatory Craftsman mechanics set, drill press, grinder, grit blaster, airbrush and compressor.  I also have a full set of hobby tools.

Forgot all of the transfer punches, micrometers, and other metal working set-up tools.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#24]

that drill press that ross just paid top dollar for at sears??? guess what? it was manufactured at the people's central drill press factory #6, in quingzao province under the same skilled hands of mao tse dung...the guy that made my harbor freight drill press. of course, mr. mao can't read which english decals go on which press...so he goes by the color of paint applied in the paint room (located right next to the cows). sears decal go on the grey drill presses and central machinery decals go on the black drill presses!

Top dollar my ass!  It was on sale! How could I resist!  It was basically the same import one they had with the "Sears" brand on it, except it had the no-name drive cover and was under $50.  Heck I got out of there spending less than a C-note, and that's pretty good for me in "Tool Territory"

Economy of scale also includes buying in one place so you don't waste so much time driving over to Harbor Freight, etc.  Besides, all I need is something to drill through gas psitons and OOW receivers.  I'm sure I'll find other tasks for it to do though.

Ross
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#25]
But - I was already a tool junkie!

Unfortunately I had to scale down the living arangememnts and no longer have a garage so most of my tools are in storage.

I keep looking at those mills.... sigh...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]
tools?  I've got tools!

tools in the truck
tools at work
tools at home (3, count 'em 3 tool boxes in the garage, PLUS one in the basement "hobby room")

I've got it covered in SAE and Metric from 1/4" - 3/4" Drive in sockets and a wrenches to match.

The only place you'll see harbor freight stuff is the 3/4" drive socket sets, for the amount of use the'll get (1 or 2x / yr) the'll do until I can come up with money to burn on Snap-on

How many of you have a complete set of bits for Tri-wings???  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Speaking of tools...
Man...wait until you guys see my next project!

Colt(my son)his entry into the cub scouts pine wood derby! Let's just say that HBarski and I have spent many hours milling this piece.

Tools made it all possible....hehehhehe just wait until the day of the race!

Now see, I hate that. My dad and grandpa did the same damn thing when I was a little terrorist (7 years old). I wanted to design the damn thing myself. I think my dad and grandpa are the reason why I'm mechanically inept to some degree, because they would never let me do shit myself or play with crap. My dad grew up on a farm, and the grandfather I never met had a huge wood shop where my dad learned to do all sorts of things. My grandpa (mom's side) was a machinist for McDonnell Douglas and Emerson Electric for 40 years, and they still won't let me touch any damn tools. I guess I'm supposed to just be a brain and stick to reading books.

Sigh.

themao
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife recently resupplied my Tool Army with a Craftsman 151 piece mechanics tool set this Christmas! God bless her!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Now why did you have to open this can of worms? I've always wanted to get to the point of independence that I needed nothing other than what I had. I need bullets and they are no longer available, no sweat, I make them. I loose that extractor from that 1914 Erfurt Luger, no sweat, I mill one out. No matches, shit, flint, steel and tender. Yes, we the tool manipulators will succeed and eventually rule, and then we will receive the honour that we humbly deserve.

And yes, I do have a complete set of Tri-Wings bits.[Tim Allen voice]arrh,arrh,arrh[/Tim Allen voice]

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh, crap...speaking of Pinewood derbys...

Talk about a sore subject!

My involvement with my Pinewood Derby car so many years ago was that I took the kit home.  Really, that's about it.  My father and brothers jumped on it and I had no input into its design or construction in any way, shape, or form.  It ended up being a good looking car with a plastic Snoopy in the driver's seat,  but as for performance...

It finished dead last by several seconds.  I guess Snoopy wasn't very aerodynamic.

I was actually happy to see it lose so badly because my project had been taken away from me by people who'd already had their chance.
So it was poetic justice to see that their hard work resulted in a car that sucked on the track.

(Incidentally, nobody ever interfered with another project of mine ever again...and I had success on my own.)

I don't think it warped my little mind or anything, but I really would have perferred to have had SOME input into the project.

And now I like guns a lot.   Gee, I wonder if the two events are related...?  

CJ

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I got tools!!!!

Who has this kit??

The best kit I have ever bought.

My father thought I was crazy buying it until he used it, now he wants one of his own...

Hammer drill, with adj cjutch and 3 speeds, Saws ALL faster than most plug ins, skill saw and flash lite (snake lite ) that also helps in killing the batteries for recharge).

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I also have a Paslode, codeless nailgun.

That takes a battery and gas cartridge.

I don't need to Radio.  WAY too much $$ for that thing.

I love my cordless tools.  I can build anything anywhere.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]
The Paslode is good but I like my Senco finish nailer even better. No cord or gas charge. Sounds mean as hell charging up for the next nail also.

Campy, You talk about Sears being high priced but then stick your nose in a Snap-on catalog . That's just stupid! Go chant your tool song somewhere else.

Rot, Your "involvement" in the pinewood car is selfish beyond compare. The principal behind the project is to let the "kids" build the car's . Not sand the fucking finished product. If I sound a little sore well so be it.
I did the scout thing when I was young and built a pine car. I worked my ass off on the project ("all" the was done by myself) I did a hell of a job on it(for a kid). My finished product never came close to what the other kiddies done. Want to know why? Oh wait you already know the answer to that one don't you.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#38]
P.S. .........got the 1" sockets but who around here has the 1" impact to go with them?

Mark
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Great Campybob- I already was a tool junkie.  Then you "poooofed" me and now it's worse!!Here's a little list:

Milwaukee 1/2" drive  elect drill
Dewalt cordless hammerdrill/drill
Bosch elect hammer drill
Milwaukee chop saw having motor rebuilt now
Had an entire woodworking shop minus a big planer(had a small one).  Sold it all after the Divorce of 2000
The only Craftsman stuff I use is the torpedo level, sockets and ratchet.  Stuff just won't hold up for me.
Klein tools.   MMMMMMM, Klein tools!  Screwdrivers, lineman's, needlenose, dikes, taps, coupla hex key sets, etc. etc.
Greenlee hydraulic knock out set
Greenlee EMT benders, 1/2", 3/4", 1"
Have a 1 1/4" bender, forget who made it
Greenlee stud punch

Bicycle stuff
Park Pro wheel truing stand
Wheelsmith tensionometer (sp)
Park tools galore- BB thread chaser, headset press, fork/rear trian gauge/straightener set, spoke wrenches.
Campy tools- quite a few but not as many as Park et al.

OK I'm tired. Gotta go buy more tools!!

edit: just for reference- this got posted twice- I deleted one of 'em

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
a world very few others will ever know about! sort of a secret brotherhood of bike mech's!

Yes, who else would lust after a cable / cable housing cutter or could not do without a side pull brake centering tool.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah baby!! Bike tools!!  I lent my headset press out and of course it never returned and I PCS'd.  Used 1" allthread and nuts for years.  Still have the thing.  I still think the Record front hub bearing dust cap removal tool is the prettiest thing Campy ever made.  (Just waiting for the obligatory smart ass "pretty tool" remark).
When I got my Merckx I had to chase all the threads- damn Euro painters!
Man I got so anal for a while I was cutting cable housing with a Dremel and cutting wheel.  Sweet cut!

Back to construction:  How 'bout a star bit for hammering out a hole in concrete for a sleeve anchor?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Campy,
I have one I bet nobody else has "Metric Star" bits, you know like the ones that remove door striker plates, and seatbelts...

........torx bits Got 4 sets . 2 screwdriver handle sets 8 to 35, quarter in. drive 8 to 30 , and half in. drive 15 to 55 . the ones for the door strikers are a odd ball and are denoted as an 88 size bit.(you can use the 50 bit but you have to drive it into the striker) How about the the "security" torx bits (the ones with a hole drilled in the center of the bit)? or the reverse torx ?

Now who here owns a bull float?

Mark
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Back to construction:  How 'bout a star bit for hammering out a hole in concrete for a sleeve anchor?

..........also works great for punching holes thru block ie gas and sewer lines (used it tuesday) but not worth a damn without a good hammer drill.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Towman,
I am happy that you did it yourself! Goodjob! My son and I have had a great time working on this project together, he has been there every step of the way. I have explained what we are doing, and why with every step in the process. You can call it selfish, I call it a learning process.

,,,,,,sounds sweet when you put it that way.......hope he wins . That way you can brag about outbuilding a bunch of kids.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Towman,
Is this a set up for a joke?  Oh WTF- I'll bite.

What's a bull float?

Watch him say something like "500 gallons".
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey, anybody play with their Wiggy today??
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top