Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2002 7:17:06 PM EDT
Saturday I traded my Bushmaster shorty AK for a SAR-1 (2001 manuf.) and a Romak-2 (along with a few extras for each). My reason for doing this is because I want a "SHTF" weapon that I know will work, and is not "ammo sensitive." The reputed effectiveness of the 5.45 round at any velocity was a major factor as well.
I have a couple of questions:
I'm going to refinish the Romak; is Alumahyde 2 from Brownell's any good? (thinking of the "dark parkerizing finish")
Since I want OD furniture, but have been told that the OD set from K-VAR is not as stiff as the black (US made) set, should I just get the black and cover it with OD Alumahyde, or is the OD set from K-VAR good enough?

Thanks, fellas, and now I must get back to de-geasing (6 cans of gunscrubber, and STILL not through (to my satisfaction, anyway)
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Light coat of oil and shoot it. It'll clean up easierUsually takes a couple of trips to the range before they're clean enough for me. FWIW, it'll be leaking cosmoline for a while.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, I have both of them taken apart as far as you can without a pin punch, and the Romak's gonna stay that way until I have installed the Adj. trigger, refinished it, and the new stock's in........
I'm de-greasin' that rascal with Foamy Engine Brite, too (works really well, which is a good thing, since I bought all the Gunscrubber Wally World had in stock, LOL)
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure.....it can take a hell of beating and great for SHTF...but will you be able to hit at what your aiming at?   lol just kidding! I love AK's as well. That was a good idea that you got the best of both worlds SAR-1 and 2.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I used Alumahyde 2 on a beat-to-heck SKS and an SAR1 that I want to try it on. All I can say is that I love the stuff! Worth it's weight in gold as far as I am concerned. I still have plenty left to do some AR mag floor plates and another rifle when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you did good on that trade.  You are really going to like that Romak when you shoot it(The 5.45 has this nasty tendency of making shooters grin from ear to ear!!)
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies, fellas; I have the cash, now all I need to do is get all the stuff ordered (trigger, mags, furniture, etc.). I've already got 2 cases of 5.45 on the way to get me started.........
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top