Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/30/2015 9:09:50 PM EDT
http://youtu.be/gCiX5GoUfOk

Was watching vickers tactical video on the 90th anniversary ak and towards the end he fires a select fire 74. I think i may have seen the rounds going unstable which may cause key holing. Not sure what exactly im seeing but if any can chime in I thought it was interesting seeig the yaw only a few feet from the barrel.  

Slow it down around 3:20
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't look like tumbling. It's typical for a bullet to wobble a little bit  when exiting the barrel until it's stabilized.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man he must have really wanted MTK's autograph to buy a $5K rifle that he can't even shoot. Now if the rifle was signed (instead of a separate piece of paper), that would be a different story

So two things that the AK-Guy should probably have known:

1) On the few occasions where MTK made public comment about the AK-74, it was clear that he was less than approving of the rifle and the new caliber in particular. So to walk up to MTK with a 5.45 mag would actually have been somewhat of an insult. And considering that he bought the mag from K-var, it was very likely a Circle-10 Bugly mag - which as we know, both MTK and Izhmash held Bulgarian AK production in high contempt as an unlicensed copy of the Kalashnikov design. So to walk up to MTK a) while he is eating, and b) holding a 5.45 mag, and c) holding a Bulgarian 5.45 mag would be in remarkably poor taste.

2) That was probably Red Army 69g 5.45 ammo. The standard 5.45 load (7n6) is 52g, and it's fairly well understood that 69g is a bit too heavy to stabilize with a standard 1/10 (255mm) twist AK-74 barrel.

I once tried to interrupt MTK at dinner to sign my Dragunov SVD (since it's commonly known that an SVD is just an AK with a long barrel), but the daughter punched me in the nutz before I got a chance.

-Thirtycal
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:...Slow it down around 3:20..
View Quote

wow....lots of stuff wiggling around in that slow-mo

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh man he must have really wanted MTK's autograph to buy a $5K rifle that he can't even shoot. Now if the rifle was signed (instead of a separate piece of paper), that would be a different story

So two things that the AK-Guy should probably have known:

1) On the few occasions where MTK made public comment about the AK-74, it was clear that he was less than approving of the rifle and the new caliber in particular. So to walk up to MTK with a 5.45 mag would actually have been somewhat of an insult. And considering that he bought the mag from K-var, it was very likely a Circle-10 Bugly mag - which as we know, both MTK and Izhmash held Bulgarian AK production in high contempt as an unlicensed copy of the Kalashnikov design. So to walk up to MTK a) while he is eating, and b) holding a 5.45 mag, and c) holding a Bulgarian 5.45 mag would be in remarkably poor taste.

2) That was probably Red Army 69g 5.45 ammo. The standard 5.45 load (7n6) is 52g, and it's fairly well understood that 69g is a bit too heavy to stabilize with a standard 1/10 (255mm) twist AK-74 barrel.

I once tried to interrupt MTK at dinner to sign my Dragunov SVD (since it's commonly known that an SVD is just an AK with a long barrel), but the daughter punched me in the nutz before I got a chance.

-Thirtycal
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the 69g rounds have a similar OAL to the 7n6. The only real difference being it is all lead cored rather than steel and lead. The length of the bullet would be the most significant factor to stabilization.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, since nobody else will do it......

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't look like tumbling. It's typical for a bullet to wobble a little bit  when exiting the barrel until it's stabilized.
View Quote

It's called Fleet Yaw.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top