Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 4:51:01 AM EDT
Over the last month, I decided to get back into AKs (getting bored with ARs).  Current plan is to SBR an SLR-107CR I picked up, and also picked up an AES10b for cheap

For those of you who have had SBR's cut and crowned, who would you recommend to do the work once the form 1 comes back?  For the engraving, who did you use?  (ive used ident for past AR SBR projects, they are great for ARs, not sure how they do on AKs)

I've never had any drum mags, wanted to get a couple for the RPK, is one type generally better/more reliable than others?  (ex: Romanian, Korean....)

If you were going to "buy cheap and stack deep" for 7.62... any particular ammo recommendations?

Thanks in advance.   And yes, it feels good to rejoin the dark side
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Over the last month, I decided to get back into AKs (getting bored with ARs).  Current plan is to SBR an SLR-107CR I picked up, and also picked up an AES10b for cheap

For those of you who have had SBR's cut and crowned, who would you recommend to do the work once the form 1 comes back?  For the engraving, who did you use?  (ive used ident for past AR SBR projects, they are great for ARs, not sure how they do on AKs)

I've never had any drum mags, wanted to get a couple for the RPK, is one type generally better/more reliable than others?  (ex: Romanian, Korean....)

If you were going to "buy cheap and stack deep" for 7.62... any particular ammo recommendations?

Thanks in advance.   And yes, it feels good to rejoin the dark side
View Quote

Golden Tiger on the BC/SD ammo.  I also like the Hornady stuff - it shoots well in my full size AKs and my Dracos.  I also keep a little brass-cased stuff floating around (Arsenal, Fiochi, Prvi) for shits and grins.

Haven't cut down an AK barrel.  Any other work I have done local.

Best deal on mags and drums recently has been at SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've never had any drum mags, wanted to get a couple for the RPK, is one type generally better/more reliable than others? (ex: Romanian, Korean....)

View Quote
Take a look at SGammo like the previous poster mentioned. They seem to be the best source for anything mag or ammo related.

I shouldnt have to tell you its not a great time for 762x39. Alot of uncertainty. Do what you can now. FAST
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I own an SBR'ed 107-CR. I cut/crowned my own. Its really a pretty simple task requiring only simple tools and a relatively inexpensive crowning kit. No need to pay a smith as it is a simple job. As for engraving, I used a company  here in the Kansas City area called Acculazer. They did a very professional job for only $20.00 while I waited. These guys engrave a lot of NFA stuff and come highly recommended.
 If you're looking to stack ammo deep for storage, I'd try to track down whatever you can find that is factory sealed in spam cans. For general plinking, just about any ammo will do. For your go-to, home defense,shtf mags... I'd load with either one of the premium loads from Hornady, something older which uses the 124 grain 8m3 Sapsan bullet, or something along those lines.
 Finally, you asked about drums. Personally, I've never cared for them aside from novelty purposes. The last time I owned any was during the assault weapons ban. The only ones I owned were the Chinese variety as the were loaded from the back and could be stored without tension on their springs even loaded as they utilized a cranking key on the front to establish spring tension. They were heavy when loaded, awkward to manipulate, threw off the overall balance of the gun, and created a rattle when moving that used to drive me nuts.
 Hope I covered everything. Welcome back!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at SGammo like the previous poster mentioned. They seem to be the best source for anything mag or ammo related.

I shouldnt have to tell you its not a great time for 762x39. Alot of uncertainty. Do what you can now. FAST
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had any drum mags, wanted to get a couple for the RPK, is one type generally better/more reliable than others? (ex: Romanian, Korean....)

Thanks for the info.  I already use SGAmmo, so looks like I'm a step ahead there.  I've been through the first AWB, so I'm not too concerned about the future of 7.62x39.  5.45 on the other hand....   Prices may rise, but there are plenty of other importers for 7.62 now, so I'm not worried about availability.

However, paying 2x as much for it would indeed suck, and your advice has merit... hence why I'm here asking for input
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just buy the crowning tools from CNC Warrior and a good hack saw blade then cut the barrel yourself.  It's super easy.  I recently did my SBR barrel cut on my own and was shocked how easy it was.  Came out great.  Here is the thread on the project: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/156136_And_now__I_cut_the_barrel_off_my_SLR_104UR___.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just buy the crowning tools from CNC Warrior and a good hack saw blade then cut the barrel yourself.  It's super easy.  I recently did my SBR barrel cut on my own and was shocked how easy it was.  Came out great.  Here is the thread on the project: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/156136_And_now__I_cut_the_barrel_off_my_SLR_104UR___.html
View Quote

I was actually following that thread to see how it turn out for you.  Thanks much for sharing :)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top