Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/25/2014 7:09:49 PM EDT
Well, someone had to go first  I know of a couple that have been chopped with no reported issues, but no one has really posted much about it.  Got my stamp the other day, had the engraving done last night.. so here we go.

First, I've never in my life cut or crowned a barrel.. and I'm doing this myself.  To play it safe, and to give myself a bit of a practice run... to start I am only cutting it down to about 10 inches. Then I'll inspect my work and test fire.  If all goes well, I'll take it down all the way to the FSB. If I have issues.. off to a pro it goes

I got started tonight.  Used a 18tpi Dewalt hacksaw blade in a hack saw to do the cutting.  it worked fine but took some time.  Maybe 45 minutes or so.  I'm thinking next time around I'll use my dads band saw.

I'm using crowning tools from CNC warrior.  They are made by Brownells.  I'm using my Dewalt 18v drill to turn them.  I wasn't able to get the work all done tonight because my batteries died..lol.  The batteries are sitting on the charger, so I'll finish up the facing and crowning tomorrow.  As of now, things are looking great.  I'm about 85% done with the facing.  It is a slow process for sure.

I should be able to get to the range for a quick test fire on monday morning.

I figured I would post a pic of the barrel cut down to the 10ish inch test run.  I wonder who will be the first to go full derp and rip me for leaving it at 10 inches before they read a word of the post

Cutting it down has completely changed the rifle.  The difference is crazy.  It just feels so much better and just looks sick.  You guys rocking the fake cans because you don't want to do a little paperwork are seriously missing out.  I want to SBR all my shit now

EDIT-  oh yeah, I added a Bulgarian peep sight top cover and a Ronins grips pin to hold the top cover on (for now).  I have a project in mind with that top cover and don't want it perm attached just yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah with the buying frenzy that went on with these I did expect some more SBR reports about them.

What muzzle device do you plan on using after the barrel is done?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably will go with a Bulgarian 4pc.  Also may try a thread adapter and use a YHM flash hider that is also a suppressor mount.  My brother has a YHM suppressor, so I could use it to test if my threads are concentric before I shell out any money for a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
ZOMG!!!!!! Thats not the correct length bro, you got screwed by whoever cut that barrel.

I kid, I kid

Seriously though i envy you and your krink, cant wait to see completed pics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool.
Why don't you leave enough barrel to thread for a can?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.
Why don't you leave enough barrel to thread for a can?
View Quote

I've been considering doing something like this guy did.

But I just can't make up my mind  Might stick with the thread adapter idea, and if it ends up not working (as in not concentric) then I'll do what the guy in the link did.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Who cut your barrel, Ray Charles

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome!  I can't wait for those range results.  Twist rate in these is why you don't see many SBR conversions of the 104UR.  Nobody wants to be the embarrassing guinea pig.  If you get good results and post them, you might start a trend.  Do you upload on YouTube?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice work but the barrel is too long

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Lookin' good!  

Oh and by the way your barrel is too long.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
if I was doing it myself, I'd leave enough for a suppressor. A 4 piece should still fit and work fine if you do.

Looks awesome too, and gold star to you for doing it yourself!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Was thinking about doing this too since my stamp came in. Are you using the 90 degree facing tool and then using the 11 degree crowning tool, or just using one of them? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
if I was doing it myself, I'd leave enough for a suppressor. A 4 piece should still fit and work fine if you do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow, I really didn't think the 4pc would work with any extra length on the barrel.  Any idea how much gap there is between the inside cone and the barrel on a regular krink?

Quoted:
Was thinking about doing this too since my stamp came in. Are you using the 90 degree facing tool and then using the 11 degree crowning tool, or just using one of them? Thanks!

I'm using the 90 degree then the 11 degree.  I'll finish it up tonight and post a pic of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Awesome!  I can't wait for those range results.  Twist rate in these is why you don't see many SBR conversions of the 104UR.  Nobody wants to be the embarrassing guinea pig.  If you get good results and post them, you might start a trend.  Do you upload on YouTube?
View Quote

Never posted anything on youtube.. and don't really have a worthwhile camera for video.  Just my iphone  I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I would most def leave 3/4 of an inch and thread for a can.  Like said before the 4 piece will still be usable on he 24mm threads.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Bravo!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#17]
You did good by leaving some wiggle room. If you have problems you can always have a smith finish it. Wise move. I love the look of these.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Well guys, couldn't wait... I'm at the range right now. 15 rounds of 7n6 so far with no sign of any key holing at 25 and 75 yards. Accuracy seems normal. I don't have my prescription glasses in me so my astigmatism makes longer shots quite difficult. Will post pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, so the range trip.  I took some 7n6, Golden Tiger, and some old black box Wolf from 2005 or so. I think I shot 60 rounds total.. quick trip.

I didn't have any issues.  No keyholes, no jacked up accuracy.. just nothing to be concerned about at all.  The rifle didn't seem stupid overgassed like it did with the 16 inch barrel.  It still sent cases into orbit, but it didn't feel like the carrier was beating the piss out of the trunion.

Here is the 25 yard target.  I was having a hard time with the iron sights.  The tighter groups are when I was actually trying to shoot a decent group.  Seems like it is doing pretty typical AK accuracy.

And the 50 75 yard.  Didn't really try to shoot for good groups at this target as I could barely even see this target without my glasses on

Sooo.. I guess tonight I'll get started on the next barrel cut.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Good job. Now I cant wait to see the final job.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
subscribed
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#23]
That is one nice looking AK you have there!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#24]
That looks really nice! How do you like the new top cover? Can you notice a big difference?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys, glad every one is enjoying this thread.  I figured you all would like it since there was so much debating over how these barrels would work cut down.

I just finished it up.  I decided to just take it down to normal krink length.  I looked into getting it threaded for a can.. and it seemed like the only sure fire way to make sure it was done concentric was to press the barrel off and have someone do it with a lathe.  Not worth the trouble to me.

I'll post my little update and new pics, then I'll try to hit everyones questions in another reply.

Here is a pic I took while I was using the 90 degree facing tool.  At first, there is quick progress.. but towards the end progress slows a ton.  This is because the cutters are cutting the flat part, so when there are less ate up areas left, the cutter is actually doing more work.  So it starts to take forever.  I kept a ton of oil on everything, I was afraid that the metal chips in the bore would chew things up.. but I see no issues from it.

After I got it all nice and square with the 90 degree tool, I hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper.  The main reason I did this is so I took away the shine, so when I started with the crowning tool, I would know that the shiney areas are what the crowning tool was doing.  Without doing this, it was nearly impossible to see the slight 11 degree crown.

I guess I forgot to snap a pic after I did the crowning tool.  Oh well, not much to see anyway.  Here is the final product.. I put the booster from my Tula kit on it, and decided to bring my other crowd pleaser into the pic

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks dude.  I'm definitely a big fan of your AKs!

Quoted:
That looks really nice! How do you like the new top cover? Can you notice a big difference?

It is actually pretty underwhelming.  I had high hopes for it, but its pretty meh.  The "peep sight" has a massive hole.  I think it is more there to be a sight to use in low light situations that a sight to use all the time.  Today I did all my shooting with its notch sight (it has both, the flips between them like an A2 rear sight).  I'm planning to rivet a rail to the top cover so I can cowitness a micro dot on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Pics of it folded. More more more!  holding lit candle high in the air
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Mmmmmm.  I want one!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#30]
How long to get the stamp?

I regret passing on these now
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a 106UR stamp come back last month for roughly 6-7 months total.  Eform submission.

And K-Var has 3 of these in stock right now. More expensive than before but they are there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#32]
There is one on the other big ak forum marketplace a guy is selling one nib with perfectly aligned sites for $1200 shipped! I would snag it up, i never thought we would see factory krinks, for 12 bills is just incredible.. if i was rich i would get another but it is the coolest gun ever, mine with a barrel shroud weighs 6 1/2lbs! It makes my ar feel unweildly and its just such a handy little carbine i love it! I bet its even way more cooler chopped.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is actually pretty underwhelming.  I had high hopes for it, but its pretty meh.  The "peep sight" has a massive hole.  I think it is more there to be a sight to use in low light situations that a sight to use all the time.  Today I did all my shooting with its notch sight (it has both, the flips between them like an A2 rear sight).  I'm planning to rivet a rail to the top cover so I can cowitness a micro dot on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is sad to hear, but i still might pick one up, im more worried about not using the side mount then how precise it is, to me i would use it more for closer stuff anyway. That is a shame though.. i wish there was just two different sizes of peep holes instead, maybe the slot is caliberated for 400 meters? Like on a regular one? That would be kinda cool.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine was an eform and I got it back right at 4 months.. but it was a bit of an oddball case.  I have another I submitted the same time that is still pending.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Just under a year. I should have went E File. Oh well? Next time maybe.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice work, dskeet.  Looks sweet!

I still gotta get around to submitting my form.  Unfortunately it's something like item #92 on my never ending to-do list.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nice work, dskeet.  Looks sweet!

I still gotta get around to submitting my form.  Unfortunately it's something like item #92 on my never ending to-do list.
View Quote

Get on it man.. haha  I just got back an approved form 1 for my Tula krink.  Took just a hair over 4 months.. not too bad really.  Now I just need the money to spend on the remaining build tools I need
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Do you have to use a trust t e-file?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you have to use a trust t e-file?
View Quote

Yeah, I think right now it is only set up for trusts and corporations to efile.  I believe that is because of the photo and fingerprint requirement to file as an individual.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Who in VA did you use for the ingraving?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who in VA did you use for the ingraving?
View Quote

http://ustacticalusa.com/

He's a gunsmith that works from home.  I think he has a different day job.  Just send him an email and he will let you know when he is free to do it(I used the first email address in his list and he got back to me a couple days later).  Charged $80 and it took about 10 minutes.  He sets up the machine, then lets you line up your receiver how ever you want it.. then the laser does its thing.  

The only other NOVA local option I've seen did an AR lower for my brother.. and the engraving is clearly crooked..
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Today I went to the range again to test out the barrel at 8 inches.  Nothing crazy to report.  Fired about 100 rounds of 7n6 with no problems.  Nice round holes.  Accuracy is about 2 inches at 25 yards for a 5 round group.  The sights are pretty much garbage(with the rear notch closer to my eye than normal it looks huge, and with the short barrel the front sight looks massive.. hard to aim accurately), so I think I may be able to do better when I get a red dot mounted.

This random guy asked about the rifle.  We were BSing about it and then he asked who I had cut it down... he gave me quite the odd look when I told him I went to Home Depot and bought a hacksaw and did it myself My dad finally admitted he thought I was crazy for doing it myself with basic tools.  I guess most people still think cutting a barrel down is some super complex thing to get right.

Sorry no pics.  It was the one day a month that I can take a guest to the range, so I was shooting with my dad for the first time in like 10 years.  So wasn't really thinking about pics or range reports.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Krinks are such fun.

By the way, I recommend trying a few rounds with no muzzle device (or just a muzzle nut), preferably at dusk.  It'll rock your world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, this is timely, since I bought a -104UR a few weeks ago, and have a krink booster on the way.  Need to get that damn Form 1 in, pronto.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top