Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 2:29:52 AM EDT
So I have the old slant brake on my AKs, and was wondering if the AK74 brake would work better on them? Or, should I stay with the good old slant style?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
im ok with the slant..we did a side by side of the 47,74 and phantom style knock off....74 was the worst imho at night .
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
try the real one with an adapter, you'll be surprised. I use to put one on all my 7.62x39 AKs. Even used one on my .308 Yugo RPK I had years ago. They work very well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
im ok with the slant..we did a side by side of the 47,74 and phantom style knock off....74 was the worst imho at night .
View Quote

hence forth the name Brake and not flash hider/suppressor...

I also have two gold fish!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I put a 74 brake on my 308 Saiga, & while it works, it is a sound amplifier. Did I say LOUD? Every time I pull the trigger at an indoor range, it feels like an elephant is jumping on my chest.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
make sure you get it in 7.62x39mm or at least .30 caliber and not the actual 5.45 caliber brake
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, '74 style brakes work well.  When my son was young, he didn't like shooting his AK at all, until I put the '74 style brake on it.

I have found slant brakes to be indistinguishable from a muzzle nut.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I say try a 74-style brake with 14mm LH thread. They are not that expensive and definitely reduce felt recoil over slant brakes.
To me, slant brakes on semi-auto AK's are merely to maintain that "traditional" look. But I believe that slants were designed to combat the up-and-to-the-right muzzle rise during rapid and full-auto fire.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I say try a 74-style brake with 14mm LH thread. They are not that expensive and definitely reduce felt recoil over slant brakes.

To me, slant brakes on semi-auto AK's are merely to maintain that "traditional" look. But I believe that slants were designed to combat the up-and-to-the-right muzzle rise during rapid and full-auto fire.
View Quote
I put an Arsenal brake on my romanian G build with an adapter and I'm happy with the reduced recoil, but it is nothing like shooting a 5.45, which feels like a .22 in comparison.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the AK74 style brake on my SAM7SF works pretty well.  Just compiled some slow motion video together from my collection:

I might switch it out for a Surefire suppressor mount, or maybe that single port brake featured in the New Products section.  Only because that brake would take some length off the end, making it fit one my cases a lot better (LaRue Covert II).
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, keep in mind that real '74 style brakes by Arsenal are different than the cheap TAPCO or other production imitations; the real deal is chromed inside and multi-chambered with three gas holes, whereas the imitations generally have two on top in line with each other.

I personally enjoy the hell out of my Manticore Night Brakes; they seem to work ok for flash suppression, but I get the occasional fireball with Tulammo/Herters.
Similar to an AKBC or even an M16 birdcage flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Arsenal makes a chrome one?  Where?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Arsenal makes a chrome one?  Where?
View Quote

AK-141US. They've been out of stock for a while though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The ones that come on their 7.62 rifles are chromed, but the only 7.62 bored '74 style brake they sell on the site say nothing about chrome lining; the 5.45/5.56 ones do.

"To ensure the longevity of the unit and to protect from the eroding forces of extreme heat and gases, the compensator is internally plated with hard chrome. The chroming also provides protection from corrosive effect of water and some ammunition."

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-141US.html
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought Chris Butler at AK-103.com made one with chrome lining but I haven't heard anything about him in a while
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]
He does, a few different ones actually; the site is still up and working, you could call and find out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top