Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2013 6:22:08 PM EDT
I want to pick up one more AK to go with my SGL21-61 but cannot decide between the SGL26-61 and the SAM7R-61 which are currently in stock at K-VAR. Is the SAM7 worth an extra $250 to get a milled receiver? Unfortunately I'm not all that knowledgeable with AKs compared to ARs but have really started to enjoy shooting the one I own. Any advice on what the main differences are and what would be the better choice both based on price or if price were no option would be appreciated. I need to decide pretty soon since it seems like shipping from K-VAR is understandable backed up.

ETA poll added
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude depends are yougoing to mod it at all?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
One has a stamped receiver and one is milled.  The SGL represents a more modern 100 series type rifle and is stamped.  Both are excellent choices and no one is better than the other.  Comes down to preference really.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
No I would most likely just keep it stock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One has a stamped receiver and one is milled.  The SGL represents a more modern 100 series type rifle and is stamped.  Both are excellent choices and no one is better than the other.  Comes down to preference really.

That's kind of what I figured, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Tough call. Both are great rifles. If it were me, I'd go with the Sam7 classic. I just love the old school classic look.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like the "B-HO feature" of the SGL26's.

If I already had a SGL21, I'd get the SAM7.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why don't you like the bolt hold open feature? Does it cause any issues/less reliable or just preference?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you like the bolt hold open feature? Does it cause any issues/less reliable or just preference?

The main reason I don't like it is it's inside the trigger guard, right where your trigger finger is going to be.  You could file it down, but I would take it out if it was my gun.

I also think it makes the rifle look like an unfinished Saiga conversion.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Sammy. No contest.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Are we talking the standard SAM7 (thin barrel) or the traditional Classic?  Either way for the price difference I would get the SGL26 and save $500 plus.   If it was the SLR101 that sold for $1050 that would be different.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would say go with the SAM in that case. The SGL will give you more stock options, but if you don't plan to modify you will be very happy with the milled receiver. Smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I voted SGL because I prefer stamped receivers. Though, the BHO lever on the SGL26 is a detractor imo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

then get the milled

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies. Based on what was said about the bolt hold open and the fact that I already own an SGL21-61 I think I'm going to go with the SAM7 for something a little different.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]

If you have the cash, I would go with the milled, especially if you don't have one yet.  You will not regret it.

I checked out the SGL-26 at a gun shop and the BHO button / lever is really not that bad.  However, I would still remove it after reading comments in various threads.  According to what was said in these threads, if the BHO encounters a spring failure, it will not "fail safe" for the system during operation and will cause the gun to jam.  In a life or death moment, this would be really bad.  This goes against what the AK stands for in my humble opinion - ultimate simplicity and dependability.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are we talking the standard SAM7 (thin barrel) or the traditional Classic?  Either way for the price difference I would get the SGL26 and save $500 plus.   If it was the SLR101 that sold for $1050 that would be different.

Price difference is $250, at least this week on the K-var website.  Both rifles show in stock.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
neither. unless its a pre-ban no AK is worth what they are asking these days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]
If you already gave the SGL-21 and don't warn to modify the second one you are buying, SAM all the way. I have several AK's and picked up a SLR-101s before the SHE Shooting. I am very happy with it. I also am not going to modify it like my other AK's . Just an RS regulate rail for a Aimpoint H-1 and a PWS FSC47 brake. I wish somebody would make a matching plum colored grip for my gun. As it stands it will be changed for a black US Palm grip.

The milled receivers are heavier, but super smooth!  You'll like the Caddy of the AK world.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the SAM7R because my other AK's have stamped receivers and I wanted to diversify my collection by picking up one with a milled receiver.  I plan to put laminate furniture on it to give it the "classic look".

Functionally, I see little difference.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top