Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:33:03 AM EDT
I have two AKM bayonets, both made by Izhmash, and one is a Type 1 the other a Type 2.Neither of them fit my Romanian AKM, which has a slant muzzle brake fitted, they dont appear to go on far enough for the lug on the underside of the gas block to clear the latch on the bayonet and lock into place.

My question is are Romanian AKM bayonets slightly different  or am i missing something?.Any advice appreciated.

Ps. Yes the bayonet lugs are definately intact!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your lug may be in need of modification - liking some elbow grease with a file or a Dremel.  

But to answer your questions, generally all the bayonets are manufactured with the same dimensions and can interchange with different rifles facilitated with the same lugs.  

Romanian AK's are sometimes not so quality controlled and your lug may be too wide (but ever so wide to not be noticebly seen) to facilitate the bayonet attachment.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like your lug may be in need of modification - liking some elbow grease with a file or a Dremel.  

But to answer your questions, generally all the bayonets are manufactured with the same dimensions and can interchange with different rifles facilitated with the same lugs.  

Romanian AK's are sometimes not so quality controlled and your lug may be too wide (but ever so wide to not be noticebly seen) to facilitate the bayonet attachment.

Thanks for the reply Rayman, i had a feeling that the bayo's were all pretty much the same.As you said i think a bit of work with a Dremel may be in order to trim the back of the lug slightly

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you could take the brake off and see if it works then?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Romanian and an Egytian bayonet and neither one would fit on a CNC Warrior slant break. They slide on like butter over my East German surplus slant break though.
I suspect you will find that the problem lies with your US made break. I ended up taking a dremel and polishing the inside of the barrel ring on the Romanian until it fit nicely.
Use a little cold blue afterward and you will never know the difference.

It is possible that your lug is out of spec but I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Romanian and an Egytian bayonet and neither one would fit on a CNC Warrior slant break. They slide on like butter over my East German surplus slant break though.
I suspect you will find that the problem lies with your US made break. I ended up taking a dremel and polishing the inside of the barrel ring on the Romanian until it fit nicely.

The member may be overseas and if so, I'd suspect he may have an original Romanian or military-issue muzzle device on his Romanian AKM.  

But it's definitely sage advice regarding the often wider US-made muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The member may be overseas and if so, I'd suspect he may have an original Romanian or military-issue muzzle device on his Romanian AKM.  

But it's definitely sage advice regarding the often wider US-made muzzle devices.

Its got a genuine Soviet slant brake on it, but it does seat all the way down before the detent pin locks it.If I screw it down all the way its at the wrong angle and the pin isnt in position.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't even notice that. haha...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe you could take the brake off and see if it works then?

I had the same problem, I took the brake off and it still would NOT latch, but the bayonet worked on my other AK's. Never did figure it out, I sold it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top